The Communications Specialist conducts public outreach and marketing activities for the print and the web, including creating email campaigns and newsletters, managing email lists, creating outreach activities, managing public engagement, and helping with market research, grant writing, and external communications planning. This is a full-time salaried position. Incumbent works in an office setting in Arlington, Virginia.
Marketing & Promotion
- Develop marketing campaigns for CASSE projects that can be sent to our lists and the public
- Develop newsletters that highlight recent activities and that invite donations and signatures
- Organize and maintain email lists using online email list management programs
- Create and mail press releases for CASSE news items to the appropriate lists and news outlets
- Contribute ideas to the organization’s branding assets such as boilerplates, taglines, logos, etc.
Public Relations & Communications
- Help identify target audiences and develop a marketing strategy for reaching audience segments
- Assist/design outreach programs to effectively communicate CASSE concepts to the public
- Work with media outlets to place CASSE news items and provide information to journalists
- Field inquiries about CASSE mission and activities from both partner and opposed organizations
- Manage social media channels and publish information in tandem with marketing campaigns
- Develop plans for building affinity with various target audiences through the appropriate channels
- Design and execute successful donation campaigns and help staff track incoming donations
- Maintain leads drawn from donor lists, signatory lists, and CASSE related events
- Create lists of actionable insights drawn from email campaign results
- Analyze and troubleshoot email list opens, clicks, bounces, etc.
- Attend events to promote the organization, obtain signatures, and gain insight on audience needs
- Facilitate communication among head office and subchapters and write/obtain bios and photos
- Assist with branding projects and assessing consistency and effectiveness for target audiences
- Help with projects such as educational outreach for K-12 audiences and college students
- Identify new, untapped audiences for CASSE outreach and market projects to new segments
- Assist with subscription and signatory list management via WordPress website
- Work with the director, staff, interns on various projects to develop marketing and outreach strategies
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate would have knowledge about the communication tasks at a nonprofit including print, online, written and multimedia assets. This knowledge would be supported by technical ability using Microsoft Word, Excel and online email list management programs such as Send in Blue, Vertical Response, Feedburner, MailChimp, etc. Basic knowledge of WordPress websites or a willingness to learn will benefit the candidate in working with other project teams. Ideally, the candidate would have a strong ability to view the big picture of various communications and outreach needs and to provide services across the spectrum of marketing, public relations, communication, and outreach. This knowledge and ability should be demonstrable on a resume with relevant academic and/ or work experience.
An interest in sustainability and/or economics is a bonus. The ideal candidate would already be familiar with the concept of a steady state economy. However, candidates interested primarily in communications initiatives at a nonprofit organization are encouraged to apply as well.
Supervision and Logistics
Supervision: The Communications Specialist is supervised by the Executive Director. Given instructions, the Communications Specialist is expected to be independently productive for significant periods of time. The Executive Director prioritizes duties as needed and has final discretion on CASSE operations.
Office: 4601 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 1200, Arlington, Virginia
Salary: $43,000-$51,000 depending on education and experience
Starting Date: March 2020 (with some flexibility)
To apply: Send a resume, copies of transcripts, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact:
Brian Czech, Executive Director