The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at the University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner) is seeking a
Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental, and Resource Economics
beginning November 1, 2021, or the earliest date thereafter. The position is in the BMBF-funded project ValuGaps, remunerated under state salary scheme TV-L E13, and limited to a term of three years. Employment is full-time (postdoctoral) or 75% part-time (doctoral).
The inter-and transdisciplinary, multi-partner collaborative research project ValuGaps (“Towards a comprehensive valuation of natural capital in Germany: Methods and approaches to deal with limited information and uncertainty”) will develop the scientific basis for comprehensive, reliable, and scalable values of natural capital and biodiversity for policymaking, accounting, and planning in Germany. In our group’s work package, we will study theoretically how the economic value of natural capital depends on (i) individuals’ heterogeneous risk and time preferences, (ii) Knightian uncertainty about future economic and ecological prospects, and (iii) norms of intra- and intergenerational distributive justice.
- cutting-edge research in the ValuGaps-project according to the project’s work plan
- exchange and integration of research results with other ValuGaps-subprojects
- publication of research results in scientific journals and presentations at conferences
- presentations and reports to the funding agency
- Master or Ph.D. in economics or another relevant field (finished or near completion)
- strong research motivation in the area of our group’s contribution to ValuGaps
- very good expertise in theoretical welfare economics, optimal allocation over time and under risk/uncertainty, as well as in theoretical concepts of sustainability
- good English and German language proficiency (oral and written)
- independence, reliability and good communication skills
- an attractive work environment within an interdisciplinary and international team at one of the best research universities of Europe
- the opportunity to work towards a Ph.D. or Habilitation
- for PostDocs: support for building your own independent scientific career (networking, mentoring, projects, funding and leading a junior research group, etc.)
Contact: Stefan Baumgärtner, +49.761.2033753
Send your application (cover letter, CV, transcripts, names, and contact information of two academic references) as one single pdf via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Screening of applications begins on July 18, 2021; the position remains open until filled.
Interviews are provisionally scheduled for August 16-19, 2021.