Call for papers
and Institutional Dynamics
10th International conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics
18-21 June 2013
Centre Lillois d’Etudes et Recherches Sociologiques et Economiques (CLERSE, UMR 8019, CNRS-Université Lille1)
Reims Economie Gestion Agro-Ressources et DurabilitéS (REGARDS, EA 6292, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne)
In co-organisation with Université Libre de Bruxelles
With the Partnership of RIODD (International Research Network on Organizations and Sustainable Development)
ESEE 2013 is organized by the European Society for Ecological Economics in collaboration with CLERSE (Université Lille1-CNRS, France) and REGARDS (Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne, France). Proposals for paper and poster presentations (abstracts with 1200 words with a summary of 800 characters) on any of the following Conference themes, and for the organisation of special sessions in the form of focused discussions/thematic sessions, are welcomed. A limited number of special sessions (10 to 15% maximum of the parallel and special sessions) can be organized in French.
The main theme of the conference is Ecological Economics and Institutional Dynamics. Institutions are considered here in their broader sense, including social representations, norms, rules of the game, collective action processes and power dimensions, forms and types of exploitation, informal and formal organizations, referring at large to governance aspects and dealing with the large spectrum of topics developed in the field of Ecological Economics. Abstracts and papers articulating social and environmental questions would be particularly appreciated.
Of course, proposals dealing with questions outside of the general theme, but relevant with the agenda of ecological economics are welcomed.
Themes of the conference
– Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary theoretical approaches (Institutional approaches, Post-Keynesian Economics, Marxist and Post-marxist economics, Feminist Economics, Political Ecology, Development Studies, Social Psychology, Environmental Sociology, Systems theory, Resilience approach, etc.).
– Methodological and epistemological issues (Participatory approaches, Multi-criteria analysis, Experimental and behavioral approaches, Life-cycle analysis, Future studies, Modelling, Deliberative methods, Social metabolism, Multiple methods approach, Integrated assessment, Storytelling, Valuation methods, Post-normal science, etc.).
– Governance, policies and institutions (multi-level governance, Environmental justice, Agenda 21, legal instruments, regional and territorial planning, economic instruments, voluntary agreements, policymix, norms, participatory processes, Common pool resources, transboundary issues, etc.).
– Resources and environment (water, land, air, forests, pollution, biodiversity and ecosystem services, food and agriculture, energy, transport, etc.).
– Actors and behaviors (capabilities, well-being, quality of life, gender issues, consumption, sustainability and firms, Corporate Social Responsibility, industrial ecology, NGO’s, cities, territorial units,. etc.).
– Towards a Socio-Ecological Transition (Prosperity and well-being beyond the growth paradigm, De-growth, Alternative metrics, “dual-track governance” for transition, system innovation for socio-technical transition, from niche experiments to regime change, integral change, etc.).
– Institutionalization of Ecological Economics: a European Perspective (Origins and history of ESEE, Comparative studies with the development of Ecological Economics outside of Europe, Education and teaching, Implementation of Ecological Economics policies, etc.).
A special attention will be dedicated to posters during the conference. Guided tours will be organized so as to leave time for poster presenters to briefly present their works. A “best poster” prize will be delivered by the scientific committee and conference participants will be actively invited to read the posters.
Full Fee (€) Early Registration (€)
ESEE/ISEE and RIODD members 330 280
Non-members 390 330
Students 210 170
The fee covers:
– Access to all conference sessions, including poster display area
– Access to opening ceremony and reception
– Lunches and coffee breaks
– Conference dinner
– Support materials – program, access to papers and others materials
– Two years” subscription to the Journal Environmental Policy and Governance
(Reims, 17-18 June 2013)
PhD and Master students will be invited to participate to a pre-conference workshop organised at the Université Reims Champagne Ardenne, on June 17-18. A special transport will be organised to allow participants to the pre-conference workshop to reach Lille on time for the opening ceremony. More details will be available soon on the website of the conference.
Contact: Franck-Dominique Vivien : firstname.lastname@example.org
(Brussels, 18 June 2013, 9AM-3PM)
In line with the focus on institutional dynamics of ESEE 2013, a pre-conference Policy Event will take place in Brussels focusing on the evolution of the modes, forms and depths of the institutionalisation of the (main) research questions of Ecological Economics to the EU-level policy making: Ecological Economics and the EU-level policy making: where do we stand in terms of interaction?
The Policy Event will strive towards a more inclusive comprehension of how ESEE’s core messages, paradigms and methodological stances find an echo in policy agendas at EU-level. In other words, how and to what degree Ecological Economics is institutionalized at the EU-level?
The policy event will be organized by the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB-IGEAT) in collaboration with EU-institutions (EU Parliament and/or DG ENV&DG RTD). It will alternate a series of keynote speeches by high-level ESEE-members and policy actors with a series of presentations of emblematic ESEE-related (past and on-going) research projects and studies.
Brussels is at a mere 30minutes’ trip by high-speed train from Lille, which allows participants to join the conference opening in time.
Contact: Tom Bauler : email@example.com
Scientific committee (list in progress)
Franck Aggeri, Federico Aguilera-Klink, Jérôme Ballet, Meriem Bouamrane, François Bousquet, Beat Burgenmeier, Isabelle Daugareilh, Valérie Deldrève, Nina Eisenmenger, Olivier Favereau, Marina Fischer-Kowalski, Timothy J. Foxon, Corinne Gendron, Bernard Hubert, Marc Hufty, Janne Hukkinen, Giorgos Kallis, Jasper Kenter, Tatiana Kluvankova-Oravska, Klaus Kubeczko, Pushpam Kumar, Markku Lehtonen, François Mancebo, Joan Martinez-Alier, Philippe Méral, Marc Mormont, Roldan Muradian, Ines Omann, Begüm Özkaynak, Jouni Paavola, Unai Pascual, Felix Rauschmayer, Jean-Pierre Revéret, Irene Ring, Peter Söderbaum, Clive Spash, Sigrid Stagl, Arild Vatn, René Véron, Nuno Videira, Edwin Zaccai.
Coordinators: Iratxe Calvo-Mendieta, Géraldine Froger, Muriel Maillefert, Martino Nieddu, Olivier Petit, Nicolas Postel, Franck-Dominique Vivien.
Members : Tom Bauler, Christophe Beaurain, Nathalie Berta, Corinne Blanquart, Bruno Boidin, Valérie Boisvert, Ornella Boutry, Leslie Carnoye, Didier Cazal, Charlotte Da Cunha, Romain Debref, Marie Delaplace, Abdelkader Djeflat, Ali Douai, Abdellilah Hamdouch, Alexandra Hyard, Benoît Lallau, Jérôme Longuépée, Hélène Melin, Eric Olszak, Gaël Plumecocq, Béatrice Quenault, Patrick Schembri, Richard Sobel, Bruno Villalba, Bertrand Zuindeau.
Keynote speakers and roundtable participants will include
Daniel W. Bromley, Michel Capron, Andrew Dobson, Florence Jany-Catrice, Inge Ropke, Elizabeth Shove, Clive Spash.
Relevant dates and deadlines
Proposals for special sessions: 1 October 2012
Notification of acceptance of special sessions: 31 October 2012
Submission of abstracts for papers and posters: 30 November 2012
Notification of acceptance of papers and posters: 15 February 2013
Early registration: 4 March 2013
Final paper due: 6 May 2013
Deadline for presenters registration: 6 May 2013
Pre-conference workshop (Reims): 17-18 June 2013
Policy event (Brussels): 18 June 2013
Conference (Lille): 18-21 June 2013
- University of Freiburg Postdoc Position August 13, 20181 Postdoc position in model uncertainty analysis The inter- and transdisciplinary project RUINS (Risk, Uncertainty and Insurance under Climate Change. Coastal Land Management on the German North Sea) funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF studies … Continue reading → The post University of Freiburg Postdoc Position appeared first on The […]
- Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference August 10, 2018Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference 8-10 January 2019, Oxford We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the International Society of Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference on 8-10 January 2019 in Oxford, UK. As a … Continue reading → The post Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference […]
- New Book by The Green Economist Peter Bartelmus August 10, 2018New Book by Prof. Dr. P. Bartelmus Sustaining Prosperity, Nature and Wellbeing; What Do the Indicators Tell Us? by Peter Bartelmus begins by assessing the validity of available data, indicators and indices in decision- and policy-making. It goes on to demonstrate how … Continue reading → The post New Book by The Green Economist Peter Bartelmus appeared […]
- Important ISEE XV Congress Update August 9, 2018We are one month before the event and we would like to REQUEST YOUR COLLABORATION to make the events as successful as possible. 15th Congress of the International Society for Ecological Economics 2018 Mexico Ecological Economics and Socio-ecological Movements: Science, … Continue reading → The post Important ISEE XV Congress Update appeared first on The […]
- Llamado II Congreso SAEE August 8, 2018The Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) would like to inform you all about the call to the II Congress of the Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) — Environmental Justice and Alternatives to Development in the Andean region: contributions of … Continue reading → The post Llamado II Congreso SAEE appeared first on The International […]
- Job Opening for Senior Economist on Food Systems at Union for Concerned Scientists July 19, 2018www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs#senioreconomist Senior Economist, Food Systems Food & Environment Program Washington, DC Office The Position The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. … Continue reading → The post Job Opening for Senior Economist on Food Systems at […]
- Survey on Research Agenda for Ecological Economics July 16, 2018Ben Dube and Josh Farley It has been nearly 30 years since a group of ecological economists gathered at the Aspen Institute in Maryland to develop a Research Agenda for the then nascent field. We believe it is time for … Continue reading → The post Survey on Research Agenda for Ecological Economics appeared first […]
- ICTA-R&D Master in Political Ecology, Degrowth and Env Justice: Inscriptions are now OPEN! Deadline: 29th of September July 10, 2018The inscription process to our Master in Political Ecology is now open. You can access all the information about the inscription process here and the online inscription platform here. Unfortunately, the information is only available in Catalan and Castilian for the time being; it will soon … Continue reading → The post ICTA-R&D Master in Political Ecology, Degrowth and Env Justice: […]
- Global Warming June 21, 201815 June 2018 Article by Dissident Voice An interview with Stuart Scott Stuart Scott of Climate Matters.TV recently interviewed Dr. Peter Wadhams, emeritus professor, Polar Ocean Physics, Cambridge University and author of the acclaimed highly recommended: A Farewell To Ice (Oxford University … Continue reading → The post Global Warming appeared first on The International Society for […]
- University of Freiburg, Germany Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers June 19, 2018The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at the University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner, is seeking two Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economics beginning October 1, 2018 or the earliest date thereafter. The position … Continue reading → The post University of Freiburg, Germany Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers appeared […]
- University of Freiburg Postdoc Position August 13, 2018