Call for papers
and Institutional Dynamics
10th International conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics
18-21 June 2013
Centre Lillois d’Etudes et Recherches Sociologiques et Economiques (CLERSE, UMR 8019, CNRS-Université Lille1)
Reims Economie Gestion Agro-Ressources et DurabilitéS (REGARDS, EA 6292, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne)
In co-organisation with Université Libre de Bruxelles
With the Partnership of RIODD (International Research Network on Organizations and Sustainable Development)
ESEE 2013 is organized by the European Society for Ecological Economics in collaboration with CLERSE (Université Lille1-CNRS, France) and REGARDS (Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne, France). Proposals for paper and poster presentations (abstracts with 1200 words with a summary of 800 characters) on any of the following Conference themes, and for the organisation of special sessions in the form of focused discussions/thematic sessions, are welcomed. A limited number of special sessions (10 to 15% maximum of the parallel and special sessions) can be organized in French.
The main theme of the conference is Ecological Economics and Institutional Dynamics. Institutions are considered here in their broader sense, including social representations, norms, rules of the game, collective action processes and power dimensions, forms and types of exploitation, informal and formal organizations, referring at large to governance aspects and dealing with the large spectrum of topics developed in the field of Ecological Economics. Abstracts and papers articulating social and environmental questions would be particularly appreciated.
Of course, proposals dealing with questions outside of the general theme, but relevant with the agenda of ecological economics are welcomed.
Themes of the conference
– Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary theoretical approaches (Institutional approaches, Post-Keynesian Economics, Marxist and Post-marxist economics, Feminist Economics, Political Ecology, Development Studies, Social Psychology, Environmental Sociology, Systems theory, Resilience approach, etc.).
– Methodological and epistemological issues (Participatory approaches, Multi-criteria analysis, Experimental and behavioral approaches, Life-cycle analysis, Future studies, Modelling, Deliberative methods, Social metabolism, Multiple methods approach, Integrated assessment, Storytelling, Valuation methods, Post-normal science, etc.).
– Governance, policies and institutions (multi-level governance, Environmental justice, Agenda 21, legal instruments, regional and territorial planning, economic instruments, voluntary agreements, policymix, norms, participatory processes, Common pool resources, transboundary issues, etc.).
– Resources and environment (water, land, air, forests, pollution, biodiversity and ecosystem services, food and agriculture, energy, transport, etc.).
– Actors and behaviors (capabilities, well-being, quality of life, gender issues, consumption, sustainability and firms, Corporate Social Responsibility, industrial ecology, NGO’s, cities, territorial units,. etc.).
– Towards a Socio-Ecological Transition (Prosperity and well-being beyond the growth paradigm, De-growth, Alternative metrics, “dual-track governance” for transition, system innovation for socio-technical transition, from niche experiments to regime change, integral change, etc.).
– Institutionalization of Ecological Economics: a European Perspective (Origins and history of ESEE, Comparative studies with the development of Ecological Economics outside of Europe, Education and teaching, Implementation of Ecological Economics policies, etc.).
A special attention will be dedicated to posters during the conference. Guided tours will be organized so as to leave time for poster presenters to briefly present their works. A “best poster” prize will be delivered by the scientific committee and conference participants will be actively invited to read the posters.
Full Fee (€) Early Registration (€)
ESEE/ISEE and RIODD members 330 280
Non-members 390 330
Students 210 170
The fee covers:
– Access to all conference sessions, including poster display area
– Access to opening ceremony and reception
– Lunches and coffee breaks
– Conference dinner
– Support materials – program, access to papers and others materials
– Two years” subscription to the Journal Environmental Policy and Governance
(Reims, 17-18 June 2013)
PhD and Master students will be invited to participate to a pre-conference workshop organised at the Université Reims Champagne Ardenne, on June 17-18. A special transport will be organised to allow participants to the pre-conference workshop to reach Lille on time for the opening ceremony. More details will be available soon on the website of the conference.
Contact: Franck-Dominique Vivien : email@example.com
(Brussels, 18 June 2013, 9AM-3PM)
In line with the focus on institutional dynamics of ESEE 2013, a pre-conference Policy Event will take place in Brussels focusing on the evolution of the modes, forms and depths of the institutionalisation of the (main) research questions of Ecological Economics to the EU-level policy making: Ecological Economics and the EU-level policy making: where do we stand in terms of interaction?
The Policy Event will strive towards a more inclusive comprehension of how ESEE’s core messages, paradigms and methodological stances find an echo in policy agendas at EU-level. In other words, how and to what degree Ecological Economics is institutionalized at the EU-level?
The policy event will be organized by the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB-IGEAT) in collaboration with EU-institutions (EU Parliament and/or DG ENV&DG RTD). It will alternate a series of keynote speeches by high-level ESEE-members and policy actors with a series of presentations of emblematic ESEE-related (past and on-going) research projects and studies.
Brussels is at a mere 30minutes’ trip by high-speed train from Lille, which allows participants to join the conference opening in time.
Contact: Tom Bauler : firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientific committee (list in progress)
Franck Aggeri, Federico Aguilera-Klink, Jérôme Ballet, Meriem Bouamrane, François Bousquet, Beat Burgenmeier, Isabelle Daugareilh, Valérie Deldrève, Nina Eisenmenger, Olivier Favereau, Marina Fischer-Kowalski, Timothy J. Foxon, Corinne Gendron, Bernard Hubert, Marc Hufty, Janne Hukkinen, Giorgos Kallis, Jasper Kenter, Tatiana Kluvankova-Oravska, Klaus Kubeczko, Pushpam Kumar, Markku Lehtonen, François Mancebo, Joan Martinez-Alier, Philippe Méral, Marc Mormont, Roldan Muradian, Ines Omann, Begüm Özkaynak, Jouni Paavola, Unai Pascual, Felix Rauschmayer, Jean-Pierre Revéret, Irene Ring, Peter Söderbaum, Clive Spash, Sigrid Stagl, Arild Vatn, René Véron, Nuno Videira, Edwin Zaccai.
Coordinators: Iratxe Calvo-Mendieta, Géraldine Froger, Muriel Maillefert, Martino Nieddu, Olivier Petit, Nicolas Postel, Franck-Dominique Vivien.
Members : Tom Bauler, Christophe Beaurain, Nathalie Berta, Corinne Blanquart, Bruno Boidin, Valérie Boisvert, Ornella Boutry, Leslie Carnoye, Didier Cazal, Charlotte Da Cunha, Romain Debref, Marie Delaplace, Abdelkader Djeflat, Ali Douai, Abdellilah Hamdouch, Alexandra Hyard, Benoît Lallau, Jérôme Longuépée, Hélène Melin, Eric Olszak, Gaël Plumecocq, Béatrice Quenault, Patrick Schembri, Richard Sobel, Bruno Villalba, Bertrand Zuindeau.
Keynote speakers and roundtable participants will include
Daniel W. Bromley, Michel Capron, Andrew Dobson, Florence Jany-Catrice, Inge Ropke, Elizabeth Shove, Clive Spash.
Relevant dates and deadlines
Proposals for special sessions: 1 October 2012
Notification of acceptance of special sessions: 31 October 2012
Submission of abstracts for papers and posters: 30 November 2012
Notification of acceptance of papers and posters: 15 February 2013
Early registration: 4 March 2013
Final paper due: 6 May 2013
Deadline for presenters registration: 6 May 2013
Pre-conference workshop (Reims): 17-18 June 2013
Policy event (Brussels): 18 June 2013
Conference (Lille): 18-21 June 2013
- University of Antwerp PhD Course March 13, 2019From 10 to 12 September 2019, the University of Antwerp, KULeuven, UHasselt and VITO will organize a PhD course. Topic of the PhD course is: sustainability assessment for the low-carbon economy. This course consists of a number of lectures by … Continue reading → The post University of Antwerp PhD Course appeared first on The […]
- Human Population and the Sixth Mass Extinction March 11, 2019PUBLIC CONFERENCE: HUMAN POPULATION AND THE SIXTH MASS EXTINCTION There is widespread consensus among scientists and conservationists that we are in the midst of the Sixth Mass Extinction, and that human beings are its cause. As the world’s population grows, … Continue reading → The post Human Population and the Sixth Mass Extinction appeared first […]
- Call for Nominations: USSEE Daly and Aguilar Awards March 8, 2019The USSEE Board of Directors is soliciting nominees for two awards (the Herman Daly Award and Bernardo Aguilar Award) to be given in conjunction with the 2019 ESA & USSEE Joint Meeting, to be held August 11th-16th in Louisville, Kentucky. The deadline for nominations is May … Continue reading → The post Call for Nominations: USSEE Daly and Aguilar Awards appeared […]
- Ph.D. position (f/m/d) in the field of Environmental Sociology/Environmental Policy/Environmental Psychology or related – 75% March 7, 2019The inter- and transdisciplinary Junior Research Group “SEE-URBAN-WATER” is offering a Ph.D. position (f/m/d) in the field of Environmental Sociology/Environmental Policy/Environmental Psychology or related – 75% from April 1, 2019 on. The position is limited to three years. Within the … Continue reading → The post Ph.D. position (f/m/d) in the field of Environmental Sociology/Environmental […]
- Call for Papers ANZSEE 2019 Conference February 22, 2019Call for papers ANZSEE 2019 Conference Ecological Economics: Solutions Now and In the Future 24–26 November 2019, RMIT University, Melbourne The urgency for ecological solutions continues to mount with delays in addressing significant local to global environmental and social problems … Continue reading → The post Call for Papers ANZSEE 2019 Conference appeared first on […]
- University of Freiburg Research Position Available February 19, 2019Posted: 14 February 2019 The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at the University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner) is seeking a Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economicsbeginning June 1, 2019 or the earliest date thereafter. … Continue reading → The post University of Freiburg Research Position Available appeared first on […]
- SPSAS Scenarios February 19, 2019The São Paulo School of Advanced Science on Scenarios and Modelling on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services to Support Human Well-Being will be held in São Pedro (190 km from São Paulo) from 01 – 15 July, 2019. Applications are open … Continue reading → The post SPSAS Scenarios appeared first on The International Society for […]
- 2019 ESA+USSEE Joint Meeting February 15, 20192019 ESA+USSEE Joint Meeting: Call for Contributed Abstracts ESA and USSEE invite contributed abstracts (talks and posters) for the upcoming joint meeting in Louisville. The deadline to submit an abstract is Thursday, February 21 at 5:00 PM Eastern Time (2:00 … Continue reading → The post 2019 ESA+USSEE Joint Meeting appeared first on The International […]
- ISSST 2019 Abstracts Due Today February 13, 2019International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology Portland, Oregon, USA ● June 25-27, 2019 Abstracts are due today (13 February 2019)! Alumni Rate Closes Friday (15 February 2019)! Final reminder that abstracts are due today! Visit https://www.conftool.org/issst2019/ to submit your … Continue reading → The post ISSST 2019 Abstracts Due Today appeared first on The […]
- International AFEP-IIPPE Conference CfP February 7, 2019International AFEP-IIPPE Conference, with participation by ADEK, AHE and EAEPE Envisioning the Economy of the Future and the Future of Political Economy July 3rd to 5th, 2019, Lille, France Social Ecological Economics and Political Economy: Theoretical, Methodological and Empirical Issues … Continue reading → The post International AFEP-IIPPE Conference CfP appeared first on The International […]
- University of Antwerp PhD Course March 13, 2019