The Institute of Social Ecology at the School of Interdisciplinary Studies & Continuing Education (IFF) of Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt (Vienna campus) announces a full time position of a Full Professor of Social Ecology in accordance with Austrian university law (§ 98 Universitätsgesetz). The position is available as of October 1, 2014 and limited to an employment period of five years. The position can be converted into a permanent position afterwards.
The tasks of the position:
- Representing the academic field of Social Ecology as a whole through research and teaching
- Acquisition and management of inter- and transdisciplinary research projects
- Participation in the teaching programme of the Institute of Social Ecology, in particular in the Master programme “Social and Human Ecology” and the “Doctoral School of Social Ecology”
- Advising and mentoring junior academic colleagues
- Participation in academic self-governance
- Habilitation or equivalent qualification in a field relevant to the tasks of the position
- Qualification in social science theories and methods (e.g. from Sociology, Economics, Political Science, Human Geography, Anthropology, etc.)
- Outstanding research and publication record covering a broad spectrum of social science themes related to sustainability research and society-nature interactions
- Outstanding university teaching record covering a broad spectrum of social science themes related to sustainability research
- Experience with the cooperation in interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in interdisciplinary and/or transdisciplinary research and/or teaching
- Experience in the supervision of academic theses
- Experience in the acquisition, implementation and management of research projects with third-party funding
- Submission of a high-quality concept paper outlining ideas for advancing research at the Institute for Social Ecology from a social science perspective together with a concept describing potential contributions of the applicant to interdisciplinary teaching in the Institute’s Masters and Doctoral programs
- Willingness to participate in shaping the profile of the Institute
- Ability to contribute innovative social science approaches to the research activities of the Institute for Social Ecology
- Willingness and ability to integrate with the team of the Institute for Social Ecology
- Willingness to undertake interdisciplinary cooperation within the School for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Competence in gender mainstreaming
- International research perspectives
Place of work is the Vienna campus of the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt.
Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt is an Equal Opportunity Employer; minorities and the physically challenged are strongly encouraged to apply.
The AAU intends to increase the number of women in high level faculty positions and specifically invites applications from qualified women. In case of equal qualification, female candidates will be given preference.
The salary will be individually negotiated. The minimum gross salary for a position at this level (Salary group A1 for University Staff / Kollektivvertrag für die Arbeitnehmer/innen der Universitäten) is currently € 66,000 per year.
Applicants are invited to refer in their application to the Institute’s position paper as well as to the strategy paper of the School (available from email@example.com ). Applications must be submitted in English and should comprise a main section with a maximum length of 5 pages (see ) together with the following supplementary attachments: a detailed curriculum vitae, list of publications, a concept paper (maximum length 2 pages) outlining ideas of the applicant for advancing research at the Institute for Social Ecology from a social science perspective (including his or her own contribution) together with a concept (maximum length 2 pages) describing potential contributions of the applicant to interdisciplinary teaching in the Institute’s Master’ s and Doctoral programs. Applicants are further invited to submit three selected texts in pdf format, of which two should be scientific publications (journal or book contributions), and one a publication aimed at a wider readership.
Applications should be submitted by 26t thFebruary 2014 by e-mail to the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, Senate’s Office, Mrs. Frau Sabine Tomicich (firstname.lastname@example.org and additionally to email@example.com). Information about the position can be obtained by contacting the Chair of the Appointments Committee, Univ.-Prof.in Dr.in Verena Winiwarter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We regret that Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt cannot reimburse applicants’ travel and lodging expenses incurred as part of the selection and/or hiring process.