Consider making the switch to the University of Freiburg: It is one of the most renowned and strongest research universities in Germany, with a history spanning more than 500 years. You’ll engage in top-notch research and teaching with a unique spectrum of disciplines, perspectives, and people – right in the heart of one of Germany’s most beautiful cities.
The University of Freiburg’s human resources policy is oriented toward the principles of equal opportunity and diversity. The university is committed to the goal of creating a family-friendly university.
The Faculty of Environment and Natural Resources of the University of Freiburg invites applications for a Full Professorship (W3) for Environmental Planning and Transformation in the Department of Environmental Social Sciences and Geography to be filled by 1.10.2021.
This professorship is also particularly suitable for highly qualified early career researchers.
The professorship will represent the subject area ‘environmental planning and transformation’ in research and teaching activities. The expected research focus is investigating socio-ecological transformation processes in the context of Global Change, taking into account (spatial and environmental) planning relationships.
The professorship will thus contribute to developing theories and methods aimed at balancing interests between divergent claims on environmental planning, in particular between ecological sustainability goals and societal interests of resource use. The professorship is expected to have a strong foundation in planning theory and a decidedly research-oriented focus. Such research should not be limited to Germany, but should also contribute to international scientific developments.
In teaching, particular commitment is expected towards teaching in the MSc degree programs in Environmental Sciences, in Forestry Science, and in Geography. Focal areas of teaching are:
- spatial and environmental planning instruments,
- planning in the context of socio-ecological transformations,
- landscape planning and landscape development,
- environmental and sustainability assessment,
- inter- and transdisciplinary methods and approaches.
Readiness to teach in Bachelor’s degree programs is a prerequisite. In addition, teaching courses in the field of geographic information systems (GIS) is desirable.
The ideal applicant has an interdisciplinary and international research profile
- An academic background in environmental planning as well as demonstrated experience in planning-related concepts and theory-based analysis of socio-ecological transformations are expected.
Relevant research fields covered by the applicant include:
- Theory-guided reflection on the emergence and implementation of spatial planning goals at the intersection of society and environment
- Spatial and environmental planning across different spatial levels
- Theories and methods of transdisciplinary planning approaches
Prerequisites for the employment of Professors are a university degree, an outstanding dissertation, and an excellent publication record. Substantial achievements and experience in academic research and teaching, at the level of a Habilitation according to the German academic system, are expected.
We are particularly pleased to receive applications from women for the position advertised here.
The following application documents are to be submitted:
- Curriculum vitae
- Certificates of degrees and academic qualifications
- Complete list of papers and invited lectures specifying the five most important publications (and provision of ORCID-ID, Google Scholar Citation index, etc.)
- List of current and previous projects including the financial support received
- Concept paper outlining future research and teaching foci (max. 1-2 pages)
Please send your application including supporting documents mentioned above and the application form citing the reference number 00001189 by September 30th, 2020 at the latest.
Please send your application to the following address in written or electronic form:
An den Vorsitzenden der Berufungskommission, Prof. Dr. Heiner Schanz, Dekan der Fakultät für Umwelt und Natürliche Ressourcen der Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Tennenbacher Str. 4, 79106 Freiburg i. Br.; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Procedure Governing Appointments to Professorships at the University of Freiburg, available under http://www.zuv.uni-freiburg.de/formulare/berufungsleitfaden-en.pdf