POST-DOCTORAL POSITION – LCA OF SUSTAINABLE AGRI-FOOD TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT ALTERNATIVES
$70,000 PER ANNUM; RENEWABLE
The Food Systems PRISM Lab is seeking a highly qualified and highly motivated post-doctoral fellow to contribute to research and research management in the field of agri-food life cycle assessment.
Located at the University of British Columbia (Okanagan Campus), Canada, the Food Systems Priority Research for Integrated Sustainability Management Laboratory (Food Systems PRISM Lab – www.prismlab.weebly.com) is a hub for cross-cutting research at the intersection of food system sustainability measurement and management. The lab is currently home to 10 graduate students and 1 post-doctoral fellow. Under the direction of Dr. Nathan Pelletier (Endowed Chair in Bio-economy Sustainability Management and NSERC/EFC Industrial Research Chair in Sustainability), the lab undertakes a broad array of inter-related research activities including:
- life cycle assessment and optimization studies of conventional and alternative agricultural, horticultural and livestock production technologies
- identification of sustainability best management practices for agri-food supply chains
- evaluation of environmental and economic payback times for renewable energy, waste valorization, precision agriculture, advanced digital technologies and other green technology options for food system applications
- development of spatially-resolved life cycle-based decision support tools for agri-food system stakeholders
- development of the Canadian Agri-food Life Cycle Data Centre (a publicly available LCI database)
- direct industry engagement and knowledge translation and transfer
The successful candidate for this position MUST possess:
- a mature foundation in life cycle assessment theory and practice, including data quality and uncertainty assessment
- a strong publication record and interest in further research in the field of agri-food life cycle sustainability modelling, in particular with respect to the above-mentioned areas of research
- a keen interest in contributing to mentoring and co-publishing with a large cohort of research assistants and graduate students (MSc and PhD) while developing extensive lab management, research supervision, grant writing, and industry engagement credentials
Compensation: The successful candidate will receive a salary of $70,000 annually (renewable for up to two years)
Is the PRISM Lab for you? Are you motivated, innately curious, and highly disciplined? Are you keen to hone your research skills and knowledge? Do you have a strong interest in food system sustainability issues? Are you willing and able to critically examine your own assumptions, and to challenge and be challenged in an environment of respect, collaboration, and exploration? Does the opportunity to work at one of the top 40 publicly funded universities in the world appeal to you? Does the prospect of living, working and playing in the beautiful Okanagan Valley (www.okanagan.com) in western Canada match your lifestyle aspirations? If so, the Food Systems PRISM Lab is a good match for you…
Interested candidates should send ALL of the following materials to Dr. Nathan Pelletier (email@example.com). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- a cover letter summarizing the applicants qualifications with respect to the above specified requirements
- a complete scholarly curriculum vitae, including contact information for at least two references
- up to three relevant peer-reviewed publications
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and letters of reference. The position is available until filled.