- Ref: 50002966-1
- Country: United Kingdom
- City: London
- Department: Banking
- Business Unit: Energy Efficiency and Climate Change
- Closing date for applications: 30 August 2015
Purpose of Job
The role of the Principal Business Development Manager (BDM) in the EECC team is to lead the team’s efforts in delivering the Bank’s sustainable resource (SEI/SRI) objectives and business targets (volume, number of projects and specific activities) in a specific region or country of operation as follows: i) define the Bank strategy in a specific country/region or area of activity, ii) identify and structure banking transactions working across the regional and banking matrix, iii) lead on development and implementation of technical assistance assignments to ensure SEI/SRI investment activity; iv) market EBRD lending opportunities and establish and manage business relations with Client; v) lead on policy dialogue with local authorities and act as Bank’s focal point in relation to sustainable energy and/or resources (sustainable resources) for a specific country/region; vi) coordinate, together with the E2C2 pillar heads the SEI/SRI business priorities and transactions in the country.
The EBRD has invested more than €13.5 billion in over 750 sustainable energy projects since the SEI commenced in 2006. The main goal of the EECC team is to mainstream the SEI/SRI by promoting sustainable energy and resource investments (investments in climate change mitigation and adaption, renewable energy, energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency and waste minimisation) throughout the Bank’s operations.
EECC makes use of a three complementary lines of work in order to deliver its mission: i) collaborate with the sector teams in implementing the banking transitions; ii) lead technical support to clients and other stakeholders; iii) support local authorities in improving the regulatory framework to promote Sustainable Energy.
The role of the Principal BDM in EECC is to deliver and coordinate the team’s objectives in a specific region or country of operation, by interacting with sector and country teams to scale up SEI/SRI Investments in their transactions. The BDM works across the Banking matrix being part of a project team, carrying out business development and project execution on transactions or components of a transaction and reporting/liaising on a strategic level with Directors and MDs on SEI/SRI Initiatives development and prospective actions required in a specific Country/Region to trigger investments in that field and meet the Bank’s targets.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Identify and define, working together with regional directors, sector teams, EECC pillar heads, opportunities for maximising the Bank’s impact and investment for SEI/SRI across all sectors, and develop with EECC/ Banking teams approaches for realising this opportunity to deploy specific products or activities;
- As a project team member or co-OL, influence clients in order to structure and deliver SEI/SRI element of banking transactions to ensure that SEI/SRI is mainstreamed/maximised in the projects financed by EBRD;
- Lead and act as internal EECC focal point (for the specific region/country of competence / strategic area of activity) on general awareness and marketing activities (in liaison with sector teams and EECC) to raise awareness of SEI/SRI issues and initiatives of the Bank by all stakeholders with the aim of establishing EBRD as being at the front of SEI/SRI financing in the country and helping generate new business for the Bank focused on SEI/SRI;
- Lead on implementation of policy dialogue recommendations from Policy Pillar and work with high-level officials to implement policy dialogue interventions required to put in place and improve regulations enabling SEI/SRI investments;
- Represent the Bank locally and maintain relations with clients, Government officials and other stakeholders in order to create an enabling environment for sustainable energy and resource efficiency Investments, coordinate with other IFIs the efforts to promote sustainable energy ensure the Bank’s strategy is met and maximise SEI/SRI investments;
Responsible and accountable for launching and managing Technical Cooperation assignments (from identification of the objectives and TOR, to procurement, management of consulting teams, connection of results with the bankers) to maximise use of funds for SEI/SRI.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Engineering/finance or economics degree; a combination of technical and commercial skills required;
- Significant technical and commercial work experience gained from a bank, equity fund, advisory services, corporate finance firm or an engineering organisation, including industry and/or consultancy experience in the energy/energy efficiency sector with a demonstrable track record of successful sustainable energy project development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively towards results in a matrix organisation.
- Ability to identify and articulate value-added proposition for clients to invest in SEI;
- Demonstrated ability to manage outsourced assignments for delivery of bankable investments and policy recommendations;
- Significant experience in managing projects, teams and consultants;
- Experience in emerging markets, including EBRD’s Country of Operations
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles as well as ability to grasp technical issues pertaining to sustainable energy projects
- Significant policy analysis and formulation experience
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English and other Country of Operation language(s) would be advantageous
- Computer literacy (advanced Excel, Word, Powerpoint….)
Knowledge of IFIs / international organisations, their institutional priorities and procedures, including donor fund mobilization experience; specific banking transaction experience is desirable.