AIR Worldwide (AIR) is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. The business of analyzing and managing risk from natural and man-made catastrophes is growing both nationally and internationally. Hundreds of businesses, insurance and re-insurance companies rely on our risk models to determine the frequency and severity of potential loss and to make critical financial decisions. Businesses use our models to identify how to optimize their financial portfolios, assess profitability of investments, and decide where to expand and contract.
When you join AIR, you’ll be a member of a market leader developing state-of-the-art products and delivering best-in-class consulting services to a variety of clients. You will use your expertise and our tools to help develop, enhance, manage, and apply the risk modeling solutions to a variety of client applications. You will work in close cooperation with a team of scientists, engineers, analysts, and statisticians to incorporate the latest modeling technologies into cutting-edge risk assessment.
You will be leading AIR’s Agricultural Risk Modeling team within our growing Research and Modeling department. Currently the team is involved in a variety of projects covering multiple perils and different crop insurance programs. We support several dozen regional and global clients who manage multi-million dollar portfolios.
Main responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Lead an experienced team of PhD scientists and modelers in developing models for agriculture risk in the US and around the world, including in emerging markets
- Work collaboratively with agriculture market experts to develop market knowledge and domain expertise
- Liaise with AIR product development teams to generate model and product specifications
- Lead scientific research for applications to future model development
- Manage the collection and analysis of data related to assessing agricultural risk, such as temperature, precipitation, soil information, crop yields, crop damage, loss data, etc.
- Lead research interaction with clients (some travel will be required) to help them better understand how our models work and explain model validation
- Play a key role in presenting and supporting AIR seminars and conferences
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated ability to manage small teams of highly technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Familiarity with manipulating large data sets
- Practical experience in statistical packages (R preferred) and compiled programming languages (C, C++, C#, FORTRAN, etc.)
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Risk modeling experience, crop modeling knowledge, and/or insurance industry knowledge a plus
- PhD in any branch of Atmospheric Science, Agriculture Economics, Mathematics, or Statistics, with experience in mathematical and numerical modeling and 7+ years of work experience in a related field
- Background in Meteorology, Remote Sensing, or crop risk modeling a plus