Research Scientist – Global Footprint Network
(Full-Time; Oakland, CA, USA)
Global Footprint Network is seeking to hire a Research Scientist to support a variety of activities within the areas of: production and the continuous improvement of the National Footprint Accounts, which serve as the basis of Ecological Footprint analyses worldwide, and to apply the accounts in projects with governments, businesses and other organizations. In these projects the Ecological Footprint is often used in conjunction with other methodologies, such as life-cycle analysis (LCA), Input-Output (I/O) analysis, and scenario modeling. Most activities will require contributing to and writing of reports and papers, some of which may be submitted for publication in scientific journals.
The Research Scientist will work closely with other members of the National Footprint Accounts development team, project managers, and others working to apply the Ecological Footprint. Additional responsibilities will include providing data, graphs and maps as needed by this and other departments. Opportunities will exist for presenting on the Ecological Footprint method and on the outcome of specific research projects. This position is entry to mid-level, commensurate with skills and expertise. The Research Scientist will report to the Director of Research & Standards.
Specific responsibilities include:
National Accounts (~50%)
- Reviewing specific areas of scientific research in Ecological Footprint calculation to validate and improve the accuracy and relevance of the National Footprint Accounts
- Contributing to programming of the National Footprint Accounts, and to developing and applying quality assurance procedures
- Building models that project future values of the Ecological Footprint, biocapacity and overshoot
- Developing and refining approaches for applying the Ecological Footprint in a wide variety of contexts
- Contributing to and writing of reports and other documentation that serve as project deliverables
- Applying methodologies such as I/O and LCA in conjunction with Footprint analysis, and documenting why a particular method was chosen and how it was used
- Supporting the use of Footprint data and method by project managers
- Providing summaries and interpretations of Footprint data for Global Footprint Network internal use, as well as for clients, partners, and the general public
- Supporting the communications department in its use of Footprint concepts and data
- Occasionally managing projects, especially those that focus on application of the Ecological Footprint
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications, skills and experience:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree or at least 2 years equivalent research experience in a relevant field, such as environmental science, environmental or natural resource management, or ecological economics.
- Ability to analyze and manipulate large data sets using programs such as Excel, MySQL, MATLAB. Proficiency in Excel VBA, C#, Stata and/or ArcGIS is desirable
- Knowledge of I/O- and process- based LCA, as well as hybrid methods is a plus, as is the ability and motivation to quickly develop expertise in these analysis methods without the need for supervision
- Skilled in both written and oral communication, preferably in writing technical documents and reports
- Ability to work well in a highly interactive team environment, working well with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to lead projects
- Fluency in non-English languages a plus
- Well-organized, self-motivated and able to meet project deadlines
- Interest in global resource issues
- Excitement about being part of a small but growing organization whose influence on the global movement toward sustainability is rapidly expanding!
Occasional travels may be undertaken to attend meetings, conferences, report presentations and other relevant events.
Salary And Benefits
Global Footprint Network offers a benefits package and competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Health insurance, 403(b) and other benefits are provided. This is a full-time position located at Global Footprint Network’s offices in Oakland, CA. Our collegial, open-plan office is located in an attractive neighborhood with good transit access. Our daily communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
Please send your resume/CV and statement of career goals to email@example.com; subject line MUST include the term “Research Scientist, Oakland” and mention that you heard about this position from “Kyle Gracey”. Global Footprint Network is committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.