The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Computational Modeling of Extreme Events in Coupled Natural and Human Systems Postdoc April 17, 2019Vermont EPSCoR is recruiting a postdoctoral associate to join our cutting-edge NSF funded research on Basin Resilience to Extreme Events (BREE). BREE is a five-year award of large-scale interdisciplinary studies which will determine how the Lake Champlain Basin’s landscape, watershed … Continue reading → The post Computational Modeling of Extreme Events in Coupled Natural and […]
- USSEE/ESA 2019 Joint Meeting Early Registration April 17, 2019Early bird registration is now open, and runs through June 27th. Regular registration runs through July 18th, and onsite registration runs up until the event. When you go to register, first make sure you have renewed your USSEE membership. There … Continue reading → The post USSEE/ESA 2019 Joint Meeting Early Registration appeared first on […]
- XIII National Meeting of ECOECO April 11, 2019The Brazilian Society for Ecological Economics (ECOECO) is pleased to anounce that the XIII National Meeting of ECOECO will be held in the State University of Campinas, state of São Paulo (September 23rd to 26th). This year, celebrating twenty-five years … Continue reading → The post XIII National Meeting of ECOECO appeared first on The […]
- US EPA Post-Doc Announcement – Globalizing the USEEIO Model April 11, 2019EPA Announcement The EPA has a post-doc opportunity to work with us to connect the USEEIO model to a global multi-regional input-output model, and to more broadly join our USEEIO modelling team. The specific announcement is here: https://cfpub.epa.gov/ordpd/PostDoc_Position.cfm?pos_id=1119 The details … Continue reading → The post US EPA Post-Doc Announcement – Globalizing the USEEIO Model […]
- Call for Posters: ESA & USSEE 2019 Joint Meeting, August 11-16 April 11, 2019Join us this August 11-16 for the ESA & USSEE 2019 Joint Meeting in Louisville, Kentucky! The theme, Bridging Communities & Ecosystems: Inclusion as an Ecological Imperative, will explore how inclusive approaches to ecology can build bridges between theory and … Continue reading → The post Call for Posters: ESA & USSEE 2019 Joint Meeting, […]
- Sir David Attenborough Speaks Out April 10, 2019Population Matters For a Sustainable Future Spring 2019 magazine The latest issue of the Population Matters magazine is now available to download. Back issues can be found on the website here. The post Sir David Attenborough Speaks Out appeared first on The International Society for Ecological Economics.
- International Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Marine Sciences April 5, 2019International Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Marine Sciences ISblue new selection criteria ISblue fellowships give creative young scientists the opportunity to develop their own research project in one of the ISblue laboratories in Western Brittany (France). ISblue research brings together all disciplines … Continue reading → The post International Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Marine Sciences appeared first on […]
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Ecological Economists (ANZSEE) 2019 Conference April 5, 2019Ecological Economics: Solutions Now and In the Future — Call for paper abstracts and registrations The escalating impacts of climate change and other ecological crises create an urgent need to address significant local to global environmental and social problems — … Continue reading → The post Australian and New Zealand Society of Ecological Economists (ANZSEE) […]
- March/April USSEE News April 2, 2019Millennium Challenge Corporation Grant Opportunity The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) has just issued a grant opportunity. MCC is looking to develop partnerships with a non-profit, “think tank” or academic institution to enhance analytical capabilities in various subfields of environmental and natural … Continue reading → The post March/April USSEE News appeared first on The International Society […]
- EcoSummit 2020 | 21 – 25 June 2020, Gold Coast, Australia April 2, 2019EcoSummit 2020 Building a sustainable and desirable future: Adapting to a changing land and sea-scape Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia SAVE THE DATE: 21-25 June 2020 The 6th International EcoSummit Congress, EcoSummit 2020 – Building a sustainable and desirable future: Adapting to … Continue reading → The post EcoSummit 2020 | 21 – 25 June 2020, Gold […]
- Computational Modeling of Extreme Events in Coupled Natural and Human Systems Postdoc April 17, 2019