The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- ASAUEE 2017-2019 Board February 28, 2018The meeting of the Argentinian-Uruguayan Association of Ecological Economics (ASAUEE www.asauee.org) held in Rosario, Argentina, on October 2-6, 2017, among other activities decided on a new Board for the ASAUEE (from October 6, 2017, until October 7, 2019). The aim … Continue reading →
- Potsdam Summer School 2018 is now Calling for Application February 23, 2018The call for application to the 2018 Potsdam Summer School is now open. This year’s Summer School will take place from September 10 through September 19, 2018, in Potsdam, Germany. It will address these central questions: Why is the Earth Surface … Continue reading →
- Postdoctoral Associate, GUND Institute, UVM February 22, 2018Application Deadline March 15th, 2018 The Gund Institute for Environment at the University of Vermont (UVM) is recruiting Postdoctoral Associates for Fall 2018 to conduct research on major global environmental challenges. They seek exceptional early-career scholars committed to connecting interdisciplinary … Continue reading →
- USSEE Webinar Series Launch February 22, 2018USSEE Webinar Series, Inaugural Seminar: Bringing Ecological Economics into Standard Economics Courses By John Gowdy Wednesday, February 28th, 1 p.m. EST USSEE is launching a free bi-monthly webinar series for the purpose of sharing methods and resources from experts in … Continue reading →
- First North-South Conference on Degrowth Call for Papers February 22, 2018The 2018 First North-South Conference on Degrowth, Mexico City will be a forum to present the latest in thought and practice of degrowth in the world and put it in dialogue with the context of the countries of the global … Continue reading →
- Nature Sustainability | Living Well, Within Planetary Boundaries February 22, 2018Living well, within planetary boundaries No country currently meets the basic needs of its citizens at a globally sustainable level of resource use. If all people are to lead a good life within planetary boundaries, then radical changes to physical … Continue reading →
- 8th International Conference on Gross National Happiness February 20, 2018From Bhutan to Borneo – In search of Happiness Greetings from Sarawak Borneo! We are pleased to announce the 8th International Conference on Gross National Happiness will be held in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia on the 13 – 17 November 2018. We … Continue reading →
- New Board for the Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) February 20, 2018Following the communication on the meeting to strengthen the Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) held in Santa Marta, Colombia, on January 19, 2018, which among other activities decided on a new Board for the SAEE. The aim of the … Continue reading →
- Environmental Economist Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science February 7, 2018Environmental Economist Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Closing date: 21 Feb 2018 Location Lowestoft, Eastern, NR33 0HT Job description ABOUT US Cefas is a world leader in marine science and technology, providing innovative solutions for the aquatic environment. … Continue reading →
- Oxford Spring School in Ecological Economics 2018 January 31, 2018Oxford Spring School in Ecological Economics 2018 2-8 April Green Economy for Countries, Cities and Regions: Ecosystems, Economy, Policy The School will address key elements of the new economy transformation, exploring the cutting edge methods and policy applications in ecological … Continue reading →
- ASAUEE 2017-2019 Board February 28, 2018