The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (email@example.com; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (firstname.lastname@example.org), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- University of Freiburg, Germany Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers June 19, 2018The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at the University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner, is seeking two Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economics beginning October 1, 2018 or the earliest date thereafter. The position … Continue reading →
- 2018 Sustainability and Development Conference June 18, 2018Sustainability and Development Conference November 9-11, 2018 University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, MI CALL FOR ABSTRACTS NOW OPEN Sustainable development, as a concept and call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and guarantee human well-being, is perhaps … Continue reading →
- The Plastic Issue and Economics June 12, 2018Sir David Attenborough posted on his Facebook page about the damage we are inflicting using plastic. At a landfill in Spain, a stork entangled with a plastic bag was freed by the photographer. Sadly, a single bag can kill more … Continue reading →
- 2018 Boulding Award June 4, 20182018 BOULDING AWARD We are pleased to announce that the Boulding Award Committee, based on a thorough review of prior and recently identified potential candidates, has decided unanimously to award the 2018 Boulding Award to Inge Røpke, in recognition of her long-term efforts on behalf … Continue reading →
- St. Lucia Postdoctorla Research Fellow SEES May 29, 2018Postdoctoral Research Fellow Job no:504443 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):Academic Research Level A1 ($64,533.50 – $87,535.13) Work type:Full Time – Fixed Term Location: St Lucia The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences (SEES) … Continue reading →
- Foreseen for 2020 Open Call for Hosting May 29, 2018News Release: 28 May 2018 OPEN CALL for Hosting the 7th International Degrowth Conference (Foreseen for 2020) – We are open to different formats, like regional or thematic conferences! This year the degrowth community celebrates the 10th anniversary of the … Continue reading →
- Oxford Summer School in Ecological Economics 2018 May 21, 2018St. Hilda College 19-25 August Green Economy for Smart and Sustainable Cities: Economics, Ecosystems and Policy The School will address key elements of the new economy transformation with a particular focus on smart and sustainable cities, exploring the cutting edge … Continue reading →
- ICTA-R&D Master in Political Ecology: Pre-registrations now open! May 11, 2018ICTA-R&D Master in Political Ecology: Pre-registrations now open! We are now ready to start the pre-registration process for the master in Political Ecology with specialization in Degrowth and Environmental Justice! While we are waiting for our University administration to deal with the … Continue reading →
- Hans Carl von Carlowitz Junior Professorship (W1) in Sustainability Assessment and Policy May 8, 2018Hans Carl von Carlowitz Junior Professorship (W1) in Sustainability Assessment and Policy The Faculty of Environmental Sciences at the TU Dresden, Germany, invites for the PRISMA – Centre for Sustainability Assessment and Policy (www.tu-dresden.de/prisma) applications for the position of Hans … Continue reading →
- Announcement & Call for Papers: 20th Annual BIOECON Conference May 7, 2018Announcement & Call for Papers XX ANNUAL BIOECON CONFERENCE ON: “Land-use, Agriculture and Biodiversity: Spatial and Temporal Issues” 12th -14th September 2018 King’s College, Cambridge United Kingdom Keynote Speakers: Professor Douglas Gollin, University of Oxford, UK Professor Paul Ferraro, Johns Hopkins … Continue reading →
- University of Freiburg, Germany Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researchers June 19, 2018