The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Bina Agarwal Articles and Collaborations January 18, 2021Livelihoods in COVID times: Gendered perils and New pathways in India Agarwal, Bina. 2021. “Livelihoods in COVID times: Gendered perils and New pathways in India”, World Development, vol. 139, 2021. https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1cMmJ,6yxDEMW9 Revisiting Group Farming in a Post-Socialist Economy Agarwal, Bina, … Continue reading → The post Bina Agarwal Articles and Collaborations appeared first on The […]
- 2021 Joint Conference of ISEE, ESEE and DEGROWTH January 13, 2021The Joint Conference of ISEE, ESEE, and DEGROWTH in collaboration with Manchester University, UK Building Alternative Livelihoods in times of ecological and political crisis Given the continuing pandemic, the joint conference between the International Degrowth Research Network, the International Society … Continue reading → The post 2021 Joint Conference of ISEE, ESEE and DEGROWTH appeared […]
- Report from Stuart Scott regarding Vatican Internship January 13, 2021Report from Stuart Scott regarding the Internship at the Vatican: I would like to start this new year’s blank slate off on a very ‘up’ note. As you may or may not be aware, an outgrowth of Clóvis Cavalcanti’s and … Continue reading → The post Report from Stuart Scott regarding Vatican Internship appeared first […]
- 7th biennial Best Early Career Researcher Award January 12, 2021Enter the 7th biennial Best Early Career Researcher Award for the chance to win your registration and $250 to attend The International Society for Ecological Modelling Global Conference 2021. You will also have a speaking slot to present your paper. Deadline: 15 March 2021. Click here for details … Continue reading → The post 7th biennial Best Early Career Researcher Award appeared first […]
- Assistant Professor of Economics LUC – SES December 21, 2020Job Title: Assistant Professor of Economics. Background: Loyola University Chicago’s (LUC) School of Environmental Sustainability (SES) and Quinlan School of Business (QSB) invite applications for a 50/50 jointly appointed full-time, tenure-track endowed position at the rank of Assistant Professor/Advanced Assistant … Continue reading → The post Assistant Professor of Economics LUC – SES appeared first […]
- ESEE Job Opening for Website and Social Media Manager December 16, 2020ESEE is looking for a content manager for our website and social media channels. The job holder would regularly post news on and pertaining to ecological economics on the website (WordPress) as well as Twitter (@ESEEORG), Facebook, and LinkedIn. Content … Continue reading → The post ESEE Job Opening for Website and Social Media Manager […]
- Rethinking Ecological Economics: A Mayan Perspective December 14, 2020Rethinking Ecological Economics: A Mayan perspective Manuel May Castillo Albert Chan Dzul and David Barkin A global online symposium of the International Degrowth Network and the International Society for Ecological Economics was held from 1-4 September, with the theme Economy … Continue reading → The post Rethinking Ecological Economics: A Mayan Perspective appeared first on […]
- Economics and Climate Emergency December 9, 2020Economics and Climate Emergency Special Issue of the Journal Globalizations Introduction to the SI Gills, B. and J. Morgan. 2020a. ‘Economics and climate emergency’. Globalizations: 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/14747731.2020.1841527 Contents (alphabetical) Bacevic, J. 2020. ‘Unthinking knowledge production: from post-Covid to post-carbon futures’. … Continue reading → The post Economics and Climate Emergency appeared first on The International […]
- Tenure Track appointment-Black Studies in Geography and Environment November 19, 2020Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change The Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change (EUC), York University, invites highly qualified candidates to apply for a professorial stream tenure-track appointment in Black Studies in Geography and Environment at the Assistant Professor level, … Continue reading → The post Tenure Track appointment-Black Studies in Geography and Environment appeared […]
- Symposium Proposals Invited November 4, 2020Announcing The International Society for Ecological Modelling Global Conference 2021 The International Society for Ecological Modelling Global Conference 2021: Ecological Models for Tomorrow’s Solutions will take place from 12-16 October 2021 at the University of Toronto, Scarborough, Canada. We would like to invite … Continue reading → The post Symposium Proposals Invited appeared first on The International Society […]
- Bina Agarwal Articles and Collaborations January 18, 2021