The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- ISC Elections Committee Deadline: 20 December 2017 December 11, 2017The new Governing Board of the International Science Council (ISC) will be elected during the founding General Assembly in July 2018. According to the new Council’s Statutes and Rules of Procedure, as discussed and agreed during the October 2017 meeting … Continue reading →
- Gund Institute Seeks Postdocs December 6, 2017POSTDOCTORAL ASSOCIATE GUND INSTITUTE, THE UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT The Gund Institute for Environment at the University of Vermont (UVM) is recruiting Postdoctoral Associates for Fall 2018 to conduct research on major global environmental challenges. We seek exceptional early-career scholars committed … Continue reading →
- Final Deadline for the 24th ISDRS Conference December 6, 2017Final deadline for abstracts submission to the 24th International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference ACTION FOR A SUSTAINABLE WORLD: FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE http://www.isdrsconference.org/ Abstract submission for the 24th International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference ACTION FOR A SUSTAINABLE WORLD: … Continue reading →
- Junior Professorship (W1) “Transformation towards Sustainable Energy Systems” with Tenure Track November 30, 2017Sciences and Geography. This professorship is particularly suitable for highly qualified early career researchers. The professorship should develop and refine instruments of environmental regulation which are necessary for the transformation towards sustainable energy systems and investigate policy formulation and operational … Continue reading →
- Without Limits to Love by Clovis Cavalcanti November 30, 2017
- Online SDG Academy Course November 29, 2017Peter May shares with you the preview of the online SDG Academy course entitled “From the Ground Up: Protecting and Managing our Terrestrial Ecosystems“ on biodiversity, land use and forests in which I have participated as a lecturer on the … Continue reading →
- Join NCSE on Thursday 11/30 for a Webinar on the 4th National Climate Assessment and Outcomes from COP 23 November 28, 2017Upcoming Webinar Climate Science, Impacts, and Policy Today: the 4th National Climate Assessment and Outcomes from the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Bonn – COP 23 Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:15 – 2:45 p.m. Eastern Time Register Today November … Continue reading →
- Call for Volunteer Chapter Scientists November 24, 2017IPCC Special Report on Climate Change and Land (SRCCL) The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is in the process of developing a Special Report on Climate Change and Land (SRCCL), which is scheduled for completion in August 2019. More information about … Continue reading →
- A Dam-Building Boom is Transforming the Brazilian Amazon November 24, 2017Philip Fearnside is one of the greatest authorities in the world of environmental knowledge about the Amazon. He is a member of the International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE). Brazil is in the midst of a dam-building spree in the … Continue reading →
- Radical Ecological Economics November 24, 2017In Radical Ecological Economics author David Barkin describes how Communities are realizing that they can be better off by taking control over their territories and organizing themselves collectively to assure the production of their needs and the conservation of their environments through direct … Continue reading →
- ISC Elections Committee Deadline: 20 December 2017 December 11, 2017