The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Environmental Values February 2019 January 16, 2019Environmental Values Latest issue now online: Vol.28, No.1, February 2019 Perspectives on Ecological Democracy Editorial: Reconciling Ecological and Democratic Values: Recent Perspectives on Ecological Democracy. David Schlosberg, Karin Bäckstrand and Jonathan Pickering Decolonising Dignity for Inclusive Democracy. Christine J. Winter … Continue reading → The post Environmental Values February 2019 appeared first on The International […]
- CfP: Resilience January 14, 2019The Journal of Business Logistics has a call for papers. The idea of the CfP is to transfer theory related to ecological economics to the area of logistics and supply chain management. For more information click here. The post CfP: Resilience appeared first on The International Society for Ecological Economics.
- ESA/USSEE Call For Abstracts January 10, 2019ESA/USSEE Call For Abstracts: Feb 21st Deadline The call for abstracts for the 2019 Ecological Society of America (ESA) and USSEE joint meeting is now live at https://esa.org/louisville/contributed-oral-abstracts/ Abstracts will be accepted until Thursday February 21st at 5 pm EST The … Continue reading → The post ESA/USSEE Call For Abstracts appeared first on The International […]
- USSEE December News January 2, 2019ESA/USSEE Conference Update, December Webinar Recording, University of Hawaii Job Posting, and Brief Survey for Members ESA/USSEE Conference: Call for Abstracts Coming Soon The call for abstracts for the USSEE’s 2019 conference, which will be held jointly with the Ecological … Continue reading → The post USSEE December News appeared first on The International Society […]
- 2019 ISEE President’s Greeting December 28, 2018The President’s greeting on the 2019 threshold Dear Collegues and Friends – I would like to remind you that the mission of ISEE consists of extending and integrating the understanding of the interfaces and interplay between ‘nature’s household’ (ecosystems) and … Continue reading → The post 2019 ISEE President’s Greeting appeared first on The International […]
- Network for Cooperation in Integrated Water Resource Management for Sustainable Development in Latin America and the Caribbean No. 49 December 28, 2018Network for Cooperation in Integrated Water Resource Management for Sustainable Development in Latin America and the Caribbean No. 49 is now available in English. Visit https://repositorio.cepal.org/handle/11362/44351 to access. The post Network for Cooperation in Integrated Water Resource Management for Sustainable Development in Latin America and the Caribbean No. 49 appeared first on The International Society for Ecological […]
- NOVEDADES DE ECONOMÍA ECOLÓGICA December 27, 2018NOVEDADES DE ECONOMÍA ECOLÓGICA Asociación Argentino-Uruguaya de Economía Ecológica (ASAUEE) Desde la Asociación Argentino-Uruguaya de Economía Ecológica queremos invitar al Seminario Acreditable de Posgrado “Economía Ambiental y Economía Ecológica” que dictarán Claudio Passalia y Claudio Fernández Macor (ambos miembros de … Continue reading → The post NOVEDADES DE ECONOMÍA ECOLÓGICA appeared first on The International […]
- Economics for Humans, Second Edition December 27, 2018Economics for Humans, Second Edition Julie A. Nelson, University of Chicago Press, December 2018 Times Literary Supplement “Passionate, to be welcomed in a discipline notably devoid of passion. . . . Can be read for pleasure and enlightenment by economists and non-economists … Continue reading → The post Economics for Humans, Second Edition appeared first on The […]
- MSc Scholarships MODUL University 2019 December 19, 2018[Recent Video: Degrowth & Technology] Scholarship Details One full scholarship will be offered for the MSc in Sustainable Development, Management and Policy (see: https://www.modul.ac.at/study-programs/master/master-in-sustainable-development-management-and-policy/). The program has a strong focus on Ecological Economics and Degrowth and invites students from diverse … Continue reading → The post MSc Scholarships MODUL University 2019 appeared first on The […]
- Greta Thunberg’s School Strike for the Climate December 19, 201815-year-old Greta is inspiring kids all over the world to save their future from the rampant double-speak of their political leaders. Continue reading → The post Greta Thunberg’s School Strike for the Climate appeared first on The International Society for Ecological Economics.
- Environmental Values February 2019 January 16, 2019