The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- W3-Professorship on ‘Biodiversity Economics August 21, 2017Call | W3 Biodiversity Economics Leipzig, August 10 2017 At the Faculty of Economics and Management Science of Leipzig University, the following professorship has to be filled as soon as possible: W3-Professorship “Biodiversity Economics” Integrative biodiversity research is interdisciplnary at … Continue reading →
- Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economics August 21, 2017The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner) is seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economics beginning April 1, 2018 or the earliest date thereafter. The position is full-time … Continue reading →
- Associate Senior University Lecturer in Ecological-Economic Modelling August 21, 2017Associate Senior University Lecturer in Ecological-Economic Modelling Login and apply Lund University, Faculty of Science, Centre for Environmental and Climate Research The Centre for Environmental and Climate Research (CEC, http://www.cec.lu.se/) is seeking to recruit an Associate Senior University Lecturer in Ecological-Economic … Continue reading →
- Call for ISEE President-Elect and Board Nominations August 21, 2017The Nominating Committee of ISEE is seeking suggestions for candidates for the Board and for President-Elect for the term January 2018-December 2019. Please email the secretariat with any suggestions you have and these will be passed on to the Nominating … Continue reading →
- Tenure track Assistant Professor in development practice July 28, 2017Career Opportunities: Tenure track Assistant Professor in development practice (11062) Introduction: The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties where approximately 14,300 students and nearly 3,800 collaborators, professors, and researchers work and study. Ideally situated … Continue reading →
- The Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Global implications, Priority interconnections in Latin America and the Caribbean July 28, 2017The Natural Resources and Infrastructure Division collaborated with the XVIth World Water Congress “Bridging Science and Policy” (Cancun, Mexico, 29 May-3 June 2017), in the Special Session “Water Security in the Americas” (30 May) and the High-Level Panel “The Water-Energy-Food … Continue reading →
- Senior Lecturer in Human Ecology July 18, 2017Lund University Department of Human Geography Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 42 000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are … Continue reading →
- Ecological Economics at the UN Climate Negotiations (COP-23) July 17, 2017Ecological Economics at the UN Climate Negotiations (COP-23) If you are planning or would consider going to this year’s climate negotiations in Bonn, Germany to speak publicly about Ecological Economics, one of our members is offering the following opportunity. Stuart … Continue reading →
- Job Posting from Aarhus University July 17, 2017Position as Researcher in Environmental Economic Modelling and Policy Analysis 919398 The Department of Environmental Science, Aarhus University, Denmark is offering a position as Researcher for 4 years. The position is to be filled October 1st, 2017, at the latest. … Continue reading →
- Job Opportunities at IIASA July 13, 2017The following job opportunities are available. A Graphic Designer in the External Relations, Communications, and Library Department. Click here for more information. The deadline for applications is 4 August 2017. Research Scholars in Agriculture, Forestry, and Land Use Economics in … Continue reading →
- W3-Professorship on ‘Biodiversity Economics August 21, 2017