The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Evaluating Policy Packages for Low-Carbon Transitions July 28, 2021EVALUATING POLICY PACKAGES FOR LOW-CARBON TRANSITIONS – PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATIONS Special Issue Ecological Economics Guest editor: Prof dr HRJ Vollebergh (Tilburg University and Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency) Transitions and policy rationales Limiting global warming to no more than 2°C has … Continue reading → The post Evaluating Policy Packages for Low-Carbon Transitions appeared first on […]
- Postdoctoral job opportunity @ CENSE (Lisbon area, Portugal) July 19, 2021Postdoctoral job opportunity @ CENSE (Lisbon area, Portugal) Job opportunity at CENSE – Center for Environmental and Sustainability Research, NOVA School of Science and Technology (UIDP/04085/2020) for a Postdoctoral Researcher with a PhD in environment and sustainability or related areas. The … Continue reading → The post Postdoctoral job opportunity @ CENSE (Lisbon area, Portugal) appeared […]
- The Legacy of Stuart Scott July 19, 2021The Legacy of Stuart Scott by Robert Hunziker Stuart Scott (72) founder/executive producer of Facing Future TV and the United Planet Faith & Science Initiative passed away at his home in Honolulu on July 15th. Stuart’s early recognition of the … Continue reading → The post The Legacy of Stuart Scott appeared first on The […]
- Assistant Editor Position July 13, 2021Ecological Economics (ECOLEC) is looking to hire an Assistant Editor The journal Ecological Economics (https://www.journals.elsevier.com/ecological-economics) is seeking a part-time Assistant Editor to support the Editors in various activities. Responsibilities The Assistant Editor’s responsibilities include the following: Content acquisition: commissioning and … Continue reading → The post Assistant Editor Position appeared first on The International Society […]
- Job at TU Dresden July 13, 2021At the International Institute Zittau (IHI), a Central Academic Unit, the Chair of Ecosystem Services offers, subject to resources being available, a project position in the BMBF-project TeichLausitz as Research Associate (subject to personal qualification employees are remunerated according to salary group … Continue reading → The post Job at TU Dresden appeared first on The International […]
- Studies in Ecological Economics Book Series July 5, 2021Would you like to communicate your work to a broader audience? We are looking for contributions to a Springer Series on Studies in Ecological Economics. We welcome book proposals. Please see the below brochure for details. The post Studies in Ecological Economics Book Series appeared first on The International Society for Ecological Economics.
- Multiple Research Positions at University of Minnesota Institute on the Environment June 17, 2021Do you want to do research that impacts local to global sustainability decisions? Do you take a systems focus — and thrive when working on a team? We want to meet you. We’re the University of Minnesota Institute on the … Continue reading → The post Multiple Research Positions at University of Minnesota Institute on […]
- Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental and Resource Economics June 17, 2021The Chair of Environmental Economics and Resource Management at the University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Stefan Baumgärtner) is seeking a Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental, and Resource Economics beginning November 1, 2021, or the earliest date thereafter. … Continue reading → The post Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher in Ecological, Environmental and Resource […]
- Open PhD Position June 14, 2021We have a scholarship for a PhD-position on ecological-economic modelling in the field of ecosystem services in multifunctional landscapes. The scholarship is particularly targeted at gifted students from developing and emerging countries. Works place is the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental … Continue reading → The post Open PhD Position appeared first on The International Society […]
- Bina Agarwal, New Book in Italian and Other News June 2, 2021New Book Bina Agarwal. 2021. Gender Inequality in Developing Economies, In Italian translation. Milan: il Mulino. Watch the book launch. Download the flier with a table of contents in English and Italian. Interviews: La Repubblica il Manifesto Corriere della … Continue reading → The post Bina Agarwal, New Book in Italian and Other News […]
- Evaluating Policy Packages for Low-Carbon Transitions July 28, 2021