The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Lecturer in Ecological and/or Environmental Economic April 12, 2021Lecturer in Ecological and/or Environmental Economics at the University of Leeds, UK: https://jobs.leeds.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=20037&forced=2 Are you an academic with proven abilities to carry out teaching and research in ecological and/or environmental economics? Do you have an excellent research record and proven success … Continue reading → The post Lecturer in Ecological and/or Environmental Economic appeared first on […]
- USSEE March/April Newsletter April 2, 2021Upcoming Conferences and Webinars: USSEE Webinar: Transitioning to Just and Sustainable Food Systems: Lessons from Ecological Economics. Friday April 2nd, 3pm EDT A round table discussion with Liz Carlisle, Kamuela Enos, and Albie Miles; moderated by Phil Warsaw The 2nd Event … Continue reading → The post USSEE March/April Newsletter appeared first on The International Society […]
- FULL PHD SCHOLARSHIP March 31, 2021FULL PHD SCHOLARSHIP: Researching the Social Aspect of Solar Energy Distribution in Australia Australia has one of the highest numbers of households with solar panels. Solar energy can help households to reduce their energy bills. Rebates for installation and buy-back … Continue reading → The post FULL PHD SCHOLARSHIP appeared first on The International Society […]
- Inaugural Eric Zencey Prize in Ecological Economics Awarded March 17, 2021Inaugural Eric Zencey Prize in Ecological Economics Awarded to ‘Floating Coast’ The Gund Institute for Environment at the University of Vermont (UVM), in partnership with the U.S. Society of Ecological Economics, has announced the inaugural winner of the Eric Zencey … Continue reading → The post Inaugural Eric Zencey Prize in Ecological Economics Awarded appeared […]
- PhD scholarship within International Environment and Development Studies March 2, 2021PhD position at the Department of International Environment and Development Studies at NMBU to work on transformative change towards just and sustainable economies: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/201992/phd-scholarship-within-international-environment-and-development-studies The position is ideal for students with training and interest in sustainability science, ecological economics and degrowth/postgrowth … Continue reading → The post PhD scholarship within International Environment and Development Studies appeared […]
- EAEI Needs a Program Manager February 17, 2021Postdoctoral Fellow (International Energy Analysis) – 92045 Organization: ED-Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Berkeley Lab’s Energy Analysis and Environmental Impacts Division (EAEI) is looking for a Program Manager to join their Electricity Markets and Policy Department (EMP)! In this role, … Continue reading → The post EAEI Needs a Program Manager appeared first on The […]
- ISEE Website February 10, 2021ISEE wants to build a new and improved website and is looking for input from anyone who would like to help with ideas on how it should look, content you’d like to see included. We are assembling a planning and … Continue reading → The post ISEE Website appeared first on The International Society for […]
- New Volume of REVIBEC Published February 8, 2021New Volume of REVIBEC El desarrollo del PNAE en las escuelas públicas del municipio de Santa María / RS: ¿una trayectoria inconclusa?; Rita Inês Paetzhold Pauli, Jéferson Réus da Silva Schulz, Bruna Tadielo Zajonz; 1-17, PDF (PORTUGUÊS (BRASIL)) Reflexiones en torno a … Continue reading → The post New Volume of REVIBEC Published appeared first on The […]
- Call for nominations: ISC Awards Programme February 4, 2021The International Science Council (ISC) is seeking nominations for the first edition of the ISC Awards Programme. ISC Members, Affiliated Bodies and partners are invited to nominate individuals or groups of individuals who contribute to the promotion of science as … Continue reading → The post Call for nominations: ISC Awards Programme appeared first on […]
- Professorship (W2) in Economics February 3, 2021Professorship (W2 in Economics, with a specialization in Sustainability and Economic Policy The School of Business and Economics establishes a new research and teaching focus on sustainability from a business and economics perspective and searches for two new professors. Within … Continue reading → The post Professorship (W2) in Economics appeared first on The International […]
- Lecturer in Ecological and/or Environmental Economic April 12, 2021