The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (email@example.com; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (firstname.lastname@example.org), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Economics of Climate Change September 24, 2020The Economics of Climate Change How Culture has Impacted Sustainability: Social Justice, Environmental Justice, and Economic Equity Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 7 p.m. A discussion with Madhavi Venkatesan, PhD Register! Visit our Website The post Economics of Climate Change appeared first on The International Society for Ecological Economics.
- Joan Martinez-Alier Interview September 23, 2020Balzan Prize A few days ago Joan Martinez-Alier won the Balzan Prize, one of the most prestigious prizes in Europe, among other things by his contribution to the foundation of ecological economics and the promotion of environmental justice. Roldan Muradian … Continue reading → The post Joan Martinez-Alier Interview appeared first on The International Society […]
- 2020 Virtual Forum on Earth System Governance September 16, 2020INVITATION 2020 Virtual Forum on Earth System Governance, 15-17th September 2020: Between precarity and possibility: Implications of disruption for Earth System Governance Innovative session: September 16, 16-17.30. https://esgproject.eventsair.com/2020virtualforum/ Behavioural responses to turbulent times: social innovation to steer sustainable governance of nature … Continue reading → The post 2020 Virtual Forum on Earth System Governance appeared first […]
- Joan Martinez Alier wins 2020 Balzan Prize for Environmental Challenges September 15, 2020Joan Martinez Alier Spain 2020 Balzan Prize for Environmental Challenges: Responses from the Social Sciences and the Humanities For the quality of his contributions to the foundation of ecological economics, his path-breaking analysis of the relationships between economies and the … Continue reading → The post Joan Martinez Alier wins 2020 Balzan Prize for Environmental […]
- Lecturer (Ecological/Ecosystems Economics) Edinburgh September 10, 2020Type Permanent full-time Job title Lecturer (Ecological/Ecosystems Economics) Edinburgh Salary £31,750 – £40,129 per annum (dependent on experience) Location Edinburgh Description LECTURER (ECOLOGICAL/ECOSYSTEMS ECONOMICS) Permanent Edinburgh £31,750 – £40,129 per annum (dependent on experience) Ref: ACF/REES/013/20 SRUC is unique in … Continue reading → The post Lecturer (Ecological/Ecosystems Economics) Edinburgh appeared first on The International […]
- II Encuentro de Cátedras Economía y Ambiente 2020 August 12, 2020II International Meeting of Chairs of Economy and Environment Virtual modality, UNLu, November 27 and 28, 2020 Teaching economics for ecological transition under discussion: transdisciplinary approaches and re-constitutive and emancipatory theories El Comité Organizador informa que ya está disponible la Primera Circular … Continue reading → The post II Encuentro de Cátedras Economía y Ambiente 2020 appeared […]
- Defining a Decade of Global Sustainability Science Action: Call for Inputs August 12, 2020Seeking expert views on science for sustainability transformations and transformations of science systems In the last few months, the COVID-19 pandemic has reminded us of the interconnected nature of the common and global challenges we face, arising from growing pressures … Continue reading → The post Defining a Decade of Global Sustainability Science Action: Call […]
- Full Professorship (W3) for Environmental Planning and Transformation August 3, 2020Consider making the switch to the University of Freiburg: It is one of the most renowned and strongest research universities in Germany, with a history spanning more than 500 years. You’ll engage in top-notch research and teaching with a unique … Continue reading → The post Full Professorship (W3) for Environmental Planning and Transformation appeared […]
- Plea from Ecological Economists July 28, 2020Post-Covid world: ask the economists to tell the truth The framework on which Ecological Economics is founded provides a privileged perspective for formulating policy indications for managing the Covid pandemic and fostering economic recovery. First, Ecological Economics adopts the precautionary … Continue reading → The post Plea from Ecological Economists appeared first on The International […]
- INSEE Journal Table of Contents of Vol. 3 No. 2 (2020): Ecology, Economy and Society July 27, 2020EDITORIAL Living in, and thinking about, the world in pandemic times Kuntala Lahiri-Dutt COMMENTARY The Post-COVID India: Making science and technology socially and environmentally relevant Prerna Singh Bindra, Chirag Gajjar, Arunabha Ghosh, Manoj Kumar, Crispino Lobo, Digangana Mukherjee, Pradeep Nair, … Continue reading → The post INSEE Journal Table of Contents of Vol. 3 No. […]
- Economics of Climate Change September 24, 2020