The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (email@example.com; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (firstname.lastname@example.org), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- ReBirth: Trip to Vicente Guerrero September 19, 2018Prior to ISEE2018 Conference in Puebla, Mexico, a visit to Vicente Guerrero peasant community was arranged. Here is a report from a participant. Rebirth: Trip to Vicente Guerrero by Oliver Braunschweig* Rebirth, I would say, is the theme of the … Continue reading → The post ReBirth: Trip to Vicente Guerrero appeared first on The […]
- World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity September 11, 2018World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity Posted by Stuart Scott, ISEE Strategist, email@example.com I have been collaborating with the group that issued the World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity – Second Notice in December 2017. The result was the ScientistsWarning.org website which … Continue reading → The post World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity appeared first on The […]
- September 24 Deadline for COP-24 September 11, 2018Posted by Stuart Scott, ISEE Strategist COP-24 This year the ISEE has been granted provisional* Observer status to the UNFCCC climate negotiations. I applied for this status, with Anne Aitken’s assistance, and I am now the DCP (Designated Focal Point) … Continue reading → The post September 24 Deadline for COP-24 appeared first on The […]
- Bina Agarwal Prize for Ecological Economics September 4, 2018BINA AGARWAL PRIZE FOR ECOLOGICAL ECONOMICS Call for Nominations Deadline for receipt of nominations: 28 February 2019 Nomination Form: The Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE) announces the Bina Agarwal Prize for Ecological Economics to be awarded biennially, for outstanding contributions in … Continue reading → The post Bina Agarwal Prize for Ecological Economics appeared first on […]
- Applications Open for SEED University of Waterloo September 3, 2018The School of Environment, Enterprise and Development (SEED), in the Faculty of Environment, University of Waterloo, invites applications for one Assistant Professor position and one Associate Professor position with expertise in sustainable development. Candidates for the Assistant Professor position should … Continue reading → The post Applications Open for SEED University of Waterloo appeared first […]
- University of Freiburg Postdoc Position August 13, 20181 Postdoc position in model uncertainty analysis The inter- and transdisciplinary project RUINS (Risk, Uncertainty and Insurance under Climate Change. Coastal Land Management on the German North Sea) funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF studies … Continue reading → The post University of Freiburg Postdoc Position appeared first on The […]
- Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference August 10, 2018Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference 8-10 January 2019, Oxford We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the International Society of Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference on 8-10 January 2019 in Oxford, UK. As a … Continue reading → The post Registration Open: International Society for Bhutan Studies Inaugural Conference […]
- New Book by The Green Economist Peter Bartelmus August 10, 2018New Book by Prof. Dr. P. Bartelmus Sustaining Prosperity, Nature and Wellbeing; What Do the Indicators Tell Us? by Peter Bartelmus begins by assessing the validity of available data, indicators and indices in decision- and policy-making. It goes on to demonstrate how … Continue reading → The post New Book by The Green Economist Peter Bartelmus appeared […]
- Important ISEE XV Congress Update August 9, 2018We are one month before the event and we would like to REQUEST YOUR COLLABORATION to make the events as successful as possible. 15th Congress of the International Society for Ecological Economics 2018 Mexico Ecological Economics and Socio-ecological Movements: Science, … Continue reading → The post Important ISEE XV Congress Update appeared first on The […]
- Llamado II Congreso SAEE August 8, 2018The Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) would like to inform you all about the call to the II Congress of the Andean Society of Ecological Economics (SAEE) — Environmental Justice and Alternatives to Development in the Andean region: contributions of … Continue reading → The post Llamado II Congreso SAEE appeared first on The International […]
- ReBirth: Trip to Vicente Guerrero September 19, 2018