The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (email@example.com; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (firstname.lastname@example.org), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- 2018 AARES Conference Australia June 20, 2017The 62nd Australasian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (AARES) Annual Conference 2018“Abundance in an Era of Scarcity? Challenges and Opportunities for Australasian Agriculture, Environment, Food, Resource and Agribusiness Sectors” Join us in 2018 for an exciting program of discussion and … Continue reading →
- Bina Agarwal awarded the 2017 Louis Malassis International Prize June 20, 2017Professor Bina Agarwal (former President, ISEE) has been awarded the 2017 Louis Malassis International Prize for an “Outstanding Career in Agricultural Development”. The Prize is given once every two years by the Agropolis Fondation, Montpellier, to recognize individuals for their exemplary … Continue reading →
- CALL FOR PAPERS: Special issue on Degrowth and Environmental Justice June 17, 2017Call for papers: Special issue on Degrowth and Environmental Justice Proposal submission deadline: 10th July 2017 Guest Editors: Bengi Akbulut1, Federico Demaria2, Julien-François Gerber3, Joan Martínez-Alier2 1 Concordia University, Montreal, Canada 2 Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Autonomous University … Continue reading →
- Call for applications for multi-stakeholder platform on Sustainable Development Goals June 14, 2017The European Commission is setting up a high-level multi-stakeholder platform on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the European Union, and invites applications for membership of the platform. The platform aims to cover the social, economic and … Continue reading →
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Economics and Management June 14, 2017The Department of Economics & Management (http://www.helsinki.fi/economics-management/) at the Faculty of Agriculture & Forestry, University of Helsinki, invites applications for a three-year POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER POSITION, focusing on “sustainable agri-food value chains and food networks for regional economic development“. To join this … Continue reading →
- Global Wildlife Conservation Lead Scientist June 14, 2017Global Wildlife Conservation Lead Scientist World Wildlife Fund Location: Flexible WWF’s half-century of conservation success is rooted firmly in science; it informs and underpins everything we do. The scientific rigor we bring to our work is unmatched in the nonprofit … Continue reading →
- Special Conference Invite for ISEE and Members June 6, 2017Airleap would like to invite the International Society for Ecological Economics and its members to a two-day economics conference on “An Urgency for Evidence and Transparency in Economic Analysis and Policy.” The conference will take place near St. Louis, with two distinguished … Continue reading →
- Register for USSEE 2017: June 25-28! May 31, 2017Register Today! If you haven’t already, be sure to register now for the USSEE 2017 meeting, Ecological Economics: From Theory to Practice. Taking place at Macalester College in Saint Paul, Minnesota from June 25-28, the conference will feature cutting edge … Continue reading →
- University of British Columbia has 7 Research Opportunities May 16, 2017The Food Systems PRISM Lab (www.prismlab.weebly.com) at the University of British Columbia – Okanagan is seeking high-caliber undergraduate, Masters, PhD and Postdoctoral researchers who have a strong interest in research and publication in the field of food system sustainability. Students … Continue reading →
- Postdoctoral researcher on Macroeconomics, Finance and the Environment May 10, 2017Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU) The Institute for Ecological Economics is currently inviting applications for a full-time post-doc position. This employee position will be limited to a period of one year (additional funding opportunities might arise in the … Continue reading →
- 2018 AARES Conference Australia June 20, 2017