The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (email@example.com; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (firstname.lastname@example.org), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Degrowth International Conferences in 2018 October 19, 2017Announcing three Degrowth International Conferences in 2018: Sweden, Mexico and European Parliament. The Support Group of the International Degrowth Conferences is happy to announce three degrowth events for 2018. After the conferences in Paris (2008), Barcelona (2010), Venice and Montreal (2012), Leipzig … Continue reading →
- Economics Research Fellow – Primary Forest Protection October 10, 2017Information, Policy & On-ground Action for Primary Forest Protection Overview: This is an opportunity to undertake applied economic research into tropical primary forest protection in three key countries or regions (Democratic Republic of Congo, Brazil, and Melanesia). This applied multidisciplinary, … Continue reading →
- ERI Fellow, Assistant Research Scholar, Green Economic Development October 3, 2017ERI Fellow, Assistant Research Scholar, Green Economic Development 00045640 OAA#: 21709-16 The Environmental Resilience Institute (ERI) at Indiana University (IU) invites applications for a Fellow position in green economic development to begin in Fall 2018; the appointment is renewable for … Continue reading →
- Hiring Twelve Positions in Urban Ecosystems Services October 3, 2017HIRING 12 POSITIONS (PROJECT COORDINATOR, POSTDOCS, RESEARCH ASSISTANTS, Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIPS) IN URBAN ECOSYSTEM SERVICES Based at the Singapore-ETH Centre (SEC), National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) We are beginning a multi-million dollar project to quantify the … Continue reading →
- Bina Agarwal awarded the prestigious 2017 Balzan Prize October 3, 2017Bina Agarwal, former President of the International Society For Ecological Economics and currently Professor of Economics at the University of Manchester, has been awarded the prestigious Balzan prize for her pathbreaking work in women in agriculture and gender studies. The … Continue reading →
- Assistant Professor in Environmental Studies with an emphasis on Sustainable Urban Systems September 27, 2017State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry Department of Environmental Studies 1 Forestry Drive Syracuse, New York 13210 September 22, 2017 ANNOUNCEMENT OF FACULTY VACANCY ASSISTANT PROFESSOR SUSTAINABLE URBAN SYSTEMS The State University of New York … Continue reading →
- Energy Globe Award 2018 September 27, 2017The objective of the ENERGY GLOBE Award is to present successful sustainable projects to a global audience and to demonstrate that for many environmental problems feasible solutions already exist. Projects submitted from over 170 countries take part each year in … Continue reading →
- Job Opening: ESEE Web and Social Media Manager September 25, 2017ESEE is looking for a part-time webmaster to take over managing the ESEE website. This position would be particularly suitable for a PhD student or postdoctoral researcher. The job holder would support the ESEE Board and country contacts network in … Continue reading →
- Call for Future ISEE Conference Organizers September 25, 2017ISEE holds its conference biennially. These conferences normally attract 500-900 social and natural scientists. In 2010 we met in Oldenburgl, in 2012 in Rio de Janeiro, in 2014 in Iceland, and in 2016 in Washington DC. In 2018 the Conference will … Continue reading →
- VIII DAYS OF ECOLOGICAL ECONOMY September 25, 2017VIII DAYS OF ECOLOGICAL ECONOMY Rosario, October 2 to 6, 2017 The sustainability against neo-extractivism and reprimarization in Latin America. Transdisciplinary views and the construction of alternatives. The Organizing Committee informs that the Fourth Circular is already available as well … Continue reading →
- Degrowth International Conferences in 2018 October 19, 2017