The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Virtual conference CFP “Extraction: Tracing the Veins” February 27, 2020Virtual conference CFP “Extraction: Tracing the Veins” Abstracts for our virtual conference Extraction: Tracing the Veins are due March 6th. EXTRACTION: TRACING THE VEINS A nearly carbon-neutral conference Massey University, New Zealand and Wageningen University and Research, The Netherlands June … Continue reading → The post Virtual conference CFP “Extraction: Tracing the Veins” appeared first […]
- Demos Helsinki is Growing and Needs Two Research Area Leads February 21, 2020Demos Helsinki Looking for two new research area leads More Information Demos Helsinki is an independent think tank set up in 2005. We want to affect the ongoing global transformations actively and build sustainable and fair post-industrial societies. We aim … Continue reading → The post Demos Helsinki is Growing and Needs Two Research Area […]
- Call for 2022 and 2024 ISEE Conference Organizers February 12, 2020Call for future ISEE Conference Organizers ISEE holds its conference biennially. These conferences normally attract 500-900 social and natural scientists. For 2022 and 2024 we are now looking for individuals/groups who might be interested in applying for organizing a conference. … Continue reading → The post Call for 2022 and 2024 ISEE Conference Organizers appeared […]
- Social-Ecological Economics AFEP Conference February 11, 2020Social-Ecological Economics AFEP Conference On July 1-3 the French Association for Political Economy (AFEP) will hold its annual conference in Toulouse. English contributions are very welcome as well as contributions from fellow social sciences. There will be sessions on Social-Ecological … Continue reading → The post Social-Ecological Economics AFEP Conference appeared first on The International […]
- EwS 2020 February 10, 2020EwS 2020 The second international ‘Education with Sustainability’ Conference 13th & 14th August 2020 Mid Sweden University, Östersund, Sweden Jointly hosted by Mid Sweden University, Sweden, and Sustainability (CERIS) Research Centre at IT Sligo, Ireland. EwS2020 will draw together educators … Continue reading → The post EwS 2020 appeared first on The International Society for […]
- CfP International Workshop February 7, 2020International Workshop “Circular Economy and Sustainability” April 2020, University of Ferrara The Workshop is a joint initiative of CERCIS (Centre for Research in Circular Economy, Innovation and SMEs), and SEEDS (Sustainability, Environmental Economics, and Dynamics Studies), and it will take place … Continue reading → The post CfP International Workshop appeared first on The International Society […]
- CASSE Communications Specialist Needed January 31, 2020Position Description: Communications Specialist Overview The Communications Specialist conducts public outreach and marketing activities for the print and the web, including creating email campaigns and newsletters, managing email lists, creating outreach activities, managing public engagement, and helping with market research, … Continue reading → The post CASSE Communications Specialist Needed appeared first on The International […]
- CASSE Ecological Economist Position January 31, 2020Position Description: Ecological Economist Overview The Ecological Economist analyzes, interprets, and synthesizes environmental and economic data. The purpose of such analysis is to help CASSE elucidate limits to growth and the need for a steady state economy as the sustainable … Continue reading → The post CASSE Ecological Economist Position appeared first on The International […]
- Research Fellow in Organizational Environmental Sustainability January 30, 2020AMC is hiring a funded (2-year) research fellow to work with us on organizational sustainability in support of our commitment to a net-zero goal. Staff and a previous fellow have worked on carbon projects in the Maine woods, and this … Continue reading → The post Research Fellow in Organizational Environmental Sustainability appeared first on […]
- 2020 Global Degrowth Day January 24, 2020Global Degrowth Day – Good Life for All The next Global Degrowth Day will be on 6th June 2020! Many different public events all over the world will be organized to share alternatives to a growth-based society. They want to … Continue reading → The post 2020 Global Degrowth Day appeared first on The International […]
- Virtual conference CFP “Extraction: Tracing the Veins” February 27, 2020