The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- Call for ISEE 2020 Conference Venue November 5, 2018Call for Future ISEE Conference Organizers ISEE holds its conference biennially. These conferences normally attract 500-900 social and natural scientists. Past conferences met: 2010 – Oldenburg 2012 – Rio de Janeiro 2014 – Iceland 2016 – Washington DC 2018 – Puebla, … Continue reading → The post Call for ISEE 2020 Conference Venue appeared first on […]
- Highlander Center Developing Ecological Economics Education Materials November 5, 2018Highlander Center seeks support developing popular education materials on ecological economics The Highlander Research and Education Center is looking for help to develop some popular education materials that could help people understand ecological economics, how the current economy ignores thermodynamics, … Continue reading → The post Highlander Center Developing Ecological Economics Education Materials appeared first […]
- USSEE October News November 1, 2018Latest Blog Post, Featured Job Posting, and Upcoming ESV Workshop BLOG POSTS AND WEBINARS On Wednesday October 17th Susan Santone presented a webinar on Integrating Ecological Economics Concepts into Other Disciplines. If you missed it, you can check out Susan’s blog … Continue reading → The post USSEE October News appeared first on The International Society […]
- ASAUEE News of Ecological Economy November 1, 2018Desde la Asociación Argentino-Uruguaya de Economía Ecológica queremos compartir la videoonferencia de Óscar Carpintero (Universidad de Valladolid y Grupo de Investigación Transdisciplinar en Transiciones Socioecológicas), moderada por el presidente de la ASAUEE Guillermo Peinado (Universidad Nacional de Rosario y Grupo de Estudios de Economía, … Continue reading → The post ASAUEE News of Ecological Economy appeared first on The […]
- Scientific Engineering Associate (Energy Efficiency Standards) – 85670 November 1, 2018Scientific Engineering Associate (Energy Efficiency Standards) – 85670 Organization: EA-Energy Analysis Env Impacts Berkeley Lab’s Energy Analysis and Environment Impacts (EAEI, https://eaei.lbl.gov/) Division has an opening for a Scientific Engineer Associate to join the Energy Efficiency Standards (EES, https://ees.lbl.gov/) Group. In this … Continue reading → The post Scientific Engineering Associate (Energy Efficiency Standards) – 85670 appeared […]
- EcoSystems October 24, 2018Environment Europe is delighted to request the pleasure of your company at the Private View of the ‘ECOSYSTEMS’ exhibition by Dr Stanislav Shmelev to take place 13:00-17:00 on 12 November 2018. The exhibition will feature 30+ works and will be … Continue reading → The post EcoSystems appeared first on The International Society for Ecological […]
- Open Rank Professor of Environmental Sustainability at Florida International University October 24, 2018Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a “R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity” and recognized as a Carnegie Community Engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral … Continue reading → The post Open Rank Professor of Environmental Sustainability at Florida International […]
- The African Society for Ecological Economics October 24, 2018We are happy to inform you that we have reactivated and reconstituted the African Society for Ecological Economists (ASEE). ASEE has a new Board as some of the old members are unreachable. The new board voted to elect new office … Continue reading → The post The African Society for Ecological Economics appeared first on […]
- 50 Days FREE Access to Legal Institutions and Ecological Economics October 22, 201850 Days’ free access to Legal Institutions and Ecological Economics: Their Common Contribution for Achieving a Sustainable Development (Volker Mauerhofer) is now available online, containing full bibliographic details. For access, click this link before December 09, 2018 you will be taken directly … Continue reading → The post 50 Days FREE Access to Legal Institutions and Ecological […]
- Job Opportunity Chair (W2) of Business Management October 19, 2018Chair of Business Management, esp. Corporate Biodiversity Management at TU Dresden, Germany As part of the Tenure Track Programme of the German Federal Government and the Federal States (Tenure Track Programme), the International Institute Zittau at Technische Universität Dresden, Germany, … Continue reading → The post Job Opportunity Chair (W2) of Business Management appeared first […]
- Call for ISEE 2020 Conference Venue November 5, 2018