The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMIST
About the job:
The Environmental and Resource Economics Group is involved in the development and application of valuation tools to quantify the impact of development on the environment in the monetary terms; decisionsupport tools that support the valuation of natural, social and economic tradeoffs and inform decision making; and incentivebased tools (including payments for ecosystem services),to incentive behavioural change with respect to natural resource (particularly water,energy,biodiversity and waste management).
The Group now has a position available for a highly motivated Senior Environmental Economist who is interested and capable of conducting applied economics R&D within multidisciplinary teams.
Minimum job responsibilities:
- The spatial and temporal evaluation of socioeconomic impacts of different environmental and resource management scenarios and options is one of the core functions of the research group
- Drafting technical proposals and the undertaking of project management and implementation
- Establishing relationships with clients
- Securing and managing large scale projects
- Leadership/mentorship to junior colleagues within the Environmental and Resource Economics Group
- Contributing to the delivery of specialist analysis in support of fundamental and applied research and policy evaluation.
- This will require developing, managing and applying a variety of economic tools and databases, writing scientific and policy reports, and journal articles. It is essential that the incumbent has e well developed problem solving skills and interests in applying these to the general fields of water, energy, biodiversity and waste management.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD (although a Masters will be acceptable provided incumbent has a minimum of 5 years’ experience) in agricultural, natural resource or environmental economics, or equivalent
- At least 5 years’ experience in managing research projects
- Proficiency in the use of MS Excel and MS Word
- Demonstrated report writing skills
- Experience in collecting, collating and analysing primary and secondary data
- Demonstrated capacity to develop solutions to environmental economic problems through the effective application of economic analysis techniques (such as market and nonmarket based valuation, ecological economic modeling, cost benefit analysis and multi-criteria analysis)
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member, demonstrating personal organisational skills
- Well developed oral communication skills with ability and experience in liaising with clients
- Ability to network broadly with stakeholders
- Code 08/EB driver’s license
- Demonstrated interest and experience in interdisciplinary research.
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply; select the position reference number 3730; complete the application form and attach your CV:
Closing date: 11 December 2009
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre. Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and that the CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.