The University of Groningen in the Netherlands invites applications for a tenure track position.
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of energy and environmental sciences. In particular, we are looking for a candidate with expertise in societal and socio-economic aspects of the way that land use has to be integrated with ecosystem services such as agriculture, cattle farming and/or water management. The societal aspects of such ecosystem services are accompanied with local as well as national and global challenges that come with changing from more classical (fossil) energy sources to renewable energy. These challenges are even more pressing when approaching the ecological and societal disturbances of intensified farming and unbalanced water use from a sustainability perspective. Discussions on such topics often show contrasting conclusions depending e.g. on the point of departure, being more national (NL), more Europe-based, or more globally-oriented. This ensures a rather dynamic research field that also brings challenges to teaching this in a well-balanced way.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- play a significant role in the development and innovation of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
- teach in the degree programme Energy & Environmental Sciences
- develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the research group IREES (Integrated Research on Energy, Environment & Society)
- contribute to the supervision of PhD and MSc students in the research group
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
- a PhD degree in the field of Energy & Sustainability, Environmental Sciences, or a related field, obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
- at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English
And you are:
- willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).