Eric Dada Mungatana
1999 : PhD in environmental and natural resources economics specializing in environmental valuation from the Dresden University of Technology, Germany.
1992 : MSc in natural resources management specializing in natural resources economics and management from NORAGRIC, the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU).
1989 : BSc in wildlife management from Moi University, Eldoret Kenya.
01.09.2021 : Associate professor (Stellenbosch University).
01.01.2016-31.08.2021 : Associate Professor and Acting Director, Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy in Africa (CEEPA), University of Pretoria.
01.01.2007-31.12.2015 : Senior lecturer (University of Pretoria)
01.06.2013-30.04.2014 : Consultant (UNEP, Nairobi).
01.03.2004-31.12.2006 : post-doctoral fellow (University of Pretoria).
15.02.1994-29.02.2004 : Lecturer (Moi University, Kenya).
07.1992-15.02.1994 : Tutorial fellow (Moi University, Kenya).
09.1989-07.1992 : Graduate assistant (Moi University, Kenya).
2016 : Board member for ASEE: African Society for Ecological Economics.
01.03.2021 – 31.12.2023 : Advisory Board member for Ambio: a Journal of Environment and Society.
2016-2020 : Lead Author for Chapter 6 for the GA of biodiversity and ecosystem services of IPBES (Deliverable 2c) Inter-governmental Panel on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
KEY RESEARCH INTERESTS
Stated preferences methods for non-market valuation, ecosystem services valuation, economics of water resources management, natural resources accounting, agricultural production economics, and economics of impact assessment.
UNIVERSITY LEVEL TEACHING RECORD
- Quantitative methods for policy analysis (MSc, University of Pretoria and CMAAE).
- Applied microeconomics (MSc, University of Pretoria).
- Applied Econometrics (MSc, University of Pretoria)
- Advanced agricultural production economics (MSc, University of Pretoria).
- Agricultural project planning and appraisal (MSc, University of Pretoria and CMAAE).
- Economics of natural resources management (MSc, University of Pretoria and CMAAE).
- Environmental valuation and policy (MSc, University of Pretoria and CMAAE.
- Environment and natural resources management (MSc, University of Pretoria and CMAAE).
- Research methodology (MSc, University of Pretoria).
- Planning of protected areas (BSc, Moi University).
- Economics and utilization of wildlife resources (BSc, Moi University).
- Wildlife management planning (MSc, Moi University).
- Biostatistics (MSc, Moi University).
- Planning thesis research (MSc, Moi University).
- Resource economics (MSc and PhD, Moi University).
- Microeconomics (MSc and PhD, Moi University).
- Environmental valuation and policy (PhD, Moi University).
- Environmental impact assessment (MA, University of Nairobi).
- Forest and agricultural economics (MA, University of Nairobi).
EXTERNAL EXAMINATION RECORD (University examinations externalized)
- Sol Platje University.
- University of KwaZulu Natal.
- University of Limpopo.
- University of London.
- Rhodes University.
EXTERNAL EXAMINATION OF GRADUATE LEVEL THESES
- I have examined PhD theses from the following universities: Pretoria, Cape Town, Kwa Zulu Natal, UNISA, Zulu land, Malawi, and Vrje University Amsterdam.
- I have examined MSc theses from the following universities: Pretoria, Rhodes, Zulu land, Malawi, and Makerere.
Africa Economic Research Consortium (AERC), African Finance Journal (AFJ), African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics (AfJARE), Agrekon, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, Biodiversity and Conservation, Development South Africa, Eastern Africa Journal for Rural Development, Ecological Economics, Economic Research Southern Africa (ERSA), Environment and Development Economics (EDE), Environmental and Resource Economics (ERE), Environmental Management, International Journal of Public Policy (IJPP), Natural Resources Forum, South African Journal of Environmental Management (SAJEM), Wetlands Ecology and Management, etc.