The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) offers a senior researcher position to coordinate one of its four research lines; the Climate Policy research line. The Climate Policy research line focuses, as the title suggests, on the policy-side of climate research. Sound policy of course is based on the results of work carried out under the other research lines (Low Carbon, Climate and Natural Environment, and Health), but also involves some further lines of investigation. This line therefore will involve drawing out the policy implications of the research undertaken under the other lines as well as undertaking research on issues directly related to the formulation of policy. The methodologies/techniques employed are diverse and include – amongst others – micro-simulation models, CGE-modelling, multi-criteria analysis, cost-benefit analysis, game theory, and integrated assessment modelling.
Both adaptation and mitigation policies are topics of the research to covered in this line and much of it is aligned with energy aspects (e.g., using economic instruments to influence energy use in a sustainable way, vulnerability of the electricity sector). With respect to international policy, thematic foci of the mid-term research strategy are international environmental agreements and international climate finance.
The researcher will mainly contribute to the coordination of the research line as well as develop her/his own research maintaining BC3’S excellence level.
Specifically the Research Line coordinator will:
- Maintain general coherence of the research line
- Data gathering, analysis and writing reports of the research line
- Enhance communication inside and outside research line
- Scientific support her/his team
- Fund raising
- Ensure that the research line commits with scientific goals in terms of publication in indexed journals, external funds seeking, participation in international projects and others.
- The applicant must have 10 years of research experience
- The applicant must have experience in coordinating teams
- The applicant must hold a post-graduate doctorate in economics or related discipline as well as good background in environmental economics and topics related to climate change.
- The applicant must have excellent interpersonal as well communication skills (written and oral) in both English and Spanish.
Location: Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), Bilbao, Spain. Tenure: The position will be for an initial period of 36 months.
Salary: The position will carry a competitive salary according to the academic and professional profile of the applicant and excellent conditions of work.
Applications: Applicants are invited to submit their CV, a one page motivation letter and the contact details of two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Climate Policy Coordinator” in the subject line.
Closing date: 30 April 2014