Marine Expert (Social Scientist): Ecosystem Services, GRID-Arendal
GRID-Arendal is seeking a Marine Expert to participate in the planning, development and implementation of various relevant activities within its Marine Division, related primarily to ecosystems, their services and the links to human and natural well-being.
Activity areas for this position are primarily (but not exclusively) focused on the following thematic areas: valuation of marine ecosystems and their services, environmental and resource management, habitat conservation and economics of ecosystems and biodiversity. The ideal candidate is a proficient networker with top quality interpersonal, organizational and team-oriented skills, who can apply innovative and forward thinking approaches to the development of GA’s marine strategy focusing on developing states and small island developing states. Activity areas for this position are primarily (but not exclusively) focused on the following thematic areas: valuation of marine ecosystems and their services, environmental and resource management, habitat conservation and economics of ecosystems and biodiversity. An overall aim involves communicating to the general public and decision makers the value of the oceans and their ecosystems and bridging the gap between scientific investigation and the need to operationalize results to promote positive change.
Competencies are sought according to specific fields of expertise and reflect the various needs of the Marine Division.
Competencies of particular interest are:
- Experience with producing and communicating valuation of marine ecosystem services – biophysical and socio-ecological economic frameworks
- Expert knowledge in coastal ecosystem services (Blue Carbon habitats in particular) linked to sustainable livelihoods and human well-being.
- Familiarity with valuation efforts (e.g. The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity)
GRID-Arendal is an environmental outreach organization that seeks to bridge the gap between science and society. Our activities support UNEP’s Programme of Work as well as efforts of other UN agencies. We are a team-based organization operating in a dynamic and evolving structure. Teams provide core groups of expertise dedicated to meeting the goals of each programmatic area.
The position will be based in Arendal, Norway. The candidate will report directly to the Head of the Marine Division.
Responsibilities and tasks:
Initial tasks and responsibilities will be based on relevant activities of the Marine Division that are currently in progress and/or under development. The candidate will be expected to support in various capacities the following projects:
- Blue Carbon Regional to National Feasibility and Demonstration Projects
- Blue Forests Global Environment Facility Project
- TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity) for Oceans and Coasts study
The candidate will in time be expected to develop, plan, lead and implement new activities in line with GRID-Arendal’s marine strategy and support other project leads when relevant. The candidate will also be encouraged to pursue fundraising activities when deemed relevant to core goals.
Preferred professional qualifications:
- Master degree or equivalent/higher in environmental or ecological economics, or related fields;
- Minimum of 5 years international working experience in Marine Ecosystem Services in at least one of the following: UN system, corporate organization or NGO;
- Intra- and inter-institutional network management (required experience in the global marine research and/or policy or governance community);
- Experience with proposal writing;
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills, with editing experience. Additional language skills would be an advantage (French skills are particularly sought);
- Established network of contacts in support of the aforementioned goals would be a great asset;
- Good organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills;
- Knowledge about the UN system/international organizations;
- Experience with media outreach and public presentations;
Preferred personal qualifications:
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently;
- High motivation and energy;
- Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines;
- Excellent networking capabilities and diplomatic skills;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary. International staff receives additional benefits.
Deadline for applications: October 19, 2012
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Please send your application by email to: Luana Karvel, HR Manager, Luana.Karvel@grida.no (no specific application form to be filled in).
For further information about the position, please contact Yannick Beaudoin, Head of Marine Division, Yannick.Beaudoin@grida.no
The United Nations Environment Programmeme (UNEP), as the world’s leading intergovernmental environmental organization, is the authoritative source of knowledge on the current state of, and trends shaping the global environment. www.unep.org
GRID-Arendal is an international Centre of Excellence located in southern Norway whose activities specifically support UNEP’s Programmeme of Work. Established in 1989 as a Norwegian foundation, GRID-Arendal’s mission is to provide environmental information, communications and capacity building services for information management and assessment. Together with its partners, GRID-Arendal’s core focus is to support decision-making processes aimed at securing a sustainable future.
Prospective candidates should note that this is not a UN post.
GRID-Arendal has a diverse team of more than 32 international professionals working in Arendal, Norway and Ottawa, Canada.
The UN House, GRID-Arendal’s headquarters in downtown Arendal, demonstrates its commitment to environmental responsibility through design, material use and eco-efficient solutions for energy, lighting, and ventilation.