Institute of Social Ecology, Vienna
The Institute of Social Ecology in Vienna, part of the Faculty for Interdisciplinary Studies at Alps-Adria University, invites applications for the position of an Post-Doc Assistant of Material Flow Analysis (50%) starting in July 2010.
The applicant will contribute to the advancement of material and energy flow analysis (MEFA) and derived indicators for different applications in sustainability science and policy/stakeholder support (such as sectoral applications of MFA, improvement of MFA to capture effects on international trade). We are looking for an individual with a background in natural or social sciences and an open mindedness towards cooperations between natural and social sciences. Applicants should show familiarity with interdisciplinary fields such as industrial ecology, ecological economics or environmental sciences. We are seeking a committed and creative person with intellectual curiosity, strong communicative skills, organizational talent and enthusiasm for team work.
Aufgaben / tasks:
- Habilitation or equivalent scientific achievements within six years
- Contribution to research in social metabolism and more specifically to indicator development for policy use.
- Scientific support for strategic policy discussions in sustainable resource use.
- Maintaining and updating the Institute’s material flow databases.
- Acquisition and coordination of research projects; scholarly publications.
- Engagement in teaching and the supervision of students in the master and doctoral program in social ecology.
- Collaboration in further development of the Institute’s scientific profile and organizational structure.
Voraussetzungen / preconditions:
- A doctoral degree.
- Publications in interdisciplinary fields, such as industrial ecology or ecological economics.
- Proficiency in industrial ecology methods such as material and energy flow accounting, substance flow analysis, hybrid input-output analysis.
- Experience in handling large and complex data sets.
- Experience in empirical research across social and natural sciences.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Weiters sind erwünscht / additional assets
- Experience in project management and acquisition.
- Excellent publication record.
- Experience in teaching and student supervision.
- Knowledge of German.
Klagenfurt University is aiming to increase the proportion of its female personnel, in particular women in management positions and faculty. Qualified women are therefore explicitly invited to apply. In case of equal qualifications, women will be given preferential consideration for employment.
Please submit a hard-copy version of your application including a motivation letter, CV and publications list, a formalized description of your competencies (download list at and one of your publications (only electronically) until May 26th, 2010 (stamp date) to:
Dienstleistungseinrichtung Personal /