The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University (Roskilde), Denmark, invites applications for a position as Researcher/Senior researcher (Assistant/Associate professor) in environmental economics to strengthen and expand the research capacity, the research-based consultancy and the teaching activities within the area of environmental economics. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, subject to negotiation.
The Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science is a newly established and highly interdisciplinary department under the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. The expertise ranges from social sciences including environmental economics, sociology and political science to natural science disciplines including physics, chemistry and microbiology, as well as interdisciplinary modelling and analysis. The department conducts pure and applied research on some of the major challenges facing society, such as pollution and pollution control mechanisms, management of soil, water, air and biodiversity, protection of ecosystem services, climate change, and energy systems. Currently, about 130 staff and PhD-students are working at the department. However, the number of staff is expected to increase to 160-170 within the next four to five years. Further information may be found at http://envs.au.dk/en/ (note the website is under construction).
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Section for Environmental Social Science, employing 20 staff. The section conducts interdisciplinary research at the crossroads of environmental economics, political science and sociology. The strategic aims of the environmental economic research section include the economics of ecosystem services, the understanding and regulation of societal transition to a green and sustainable economy, interdisciplinary and bioeconomic analysis and modelling of the management of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
Description of the position
The selected candidate for the position in environmental economics is expected to:
The department is particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within bioeconomics, econometrics and/or mathematical programming applied to economic analysis of ecosystem services, cost-effectiveness analysis and valuation of non-market and market goods and services.
The successful candidate has strong research background in environmental economics and in applying quantitative methods. Experience in integrated modelling and/or ecosystem service assessments is preferable. The qualifications must be documented by published contributions in international high-quality research outlets.
Applicants at the Researcher (Assistant professor) level should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the Ph.D. graduate level and have at least 2 -3 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. The successful candidate must show evidence of an emerging productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
Applicants at the Senior researcher (Associate professor) level should in addition to a Ph.D. degree have at least 4 – 5 years of post-graduate research and publication experience. A demonstrated research leadership and ability to define and manage research projects is expected, as is a successful record of external research funding. The successful candidate must show evidence of a productive publication record. Participation in international and national networks of researchers is preferable.
The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment. The position, therefore, requires a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Aarhus University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age and ethnic background.
Terms of employment
Outstanding foreign candidates may qualify for a reduced taxation scheme during the first five years of employment. Applicants at the Senior researcher level will be hired on a permanent contract. Applicants at the Researcher level will be hired on a 4-year contract. Upon termination of the contract, a permanent position as Senior researcher will be advertised internationally in open competition. The candidate may apply for this position.
The qualifications of the applicants will be assessed by an expert panel according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of 25 April 2008.
English is spoken on a daily basis at the department. However, to be able to participate in administrative/social activities, it will be in the interest of an international candidate to be able to communicate in Danish. Foreign candidates are, therefore, expected to learn Danish. Danish courses will be provided (also for the spouse).
The place of work will be at AU in Roskilde, Denmark. The city of Roskilde (www.roskilde.dk) is located close to Copenhagen. The area provides immediate access to a wealth of cultural and recreational pursuits. Within about 5 years, the department is expected move to Copenhagen.
Filing of the application
Applicants are expected to add additional value to our existing research and educational programmes and propose viable plans for further developing them. Therefore, the application (written in English) should as a minimum contain:
Please note that on the website where your application should be uploaded (see below), you will be asked to provide information in addition to the minimum requirements listed above. Providing this additional information is not mandatory.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Head of Department Dr. Niels Kroer (email@example.com; +45 871 58 701), Head of Section Dr. Berit Hasler (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45871 58 637) or Professor Mette Termansen (email@example.com), +45871 58645).
Formalities and salary range
The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.
All applications must be made online and received by 17 June 2013.
Please apply online here
Aarhus University offers an inspiring education and research environment for 44,500 students and 12,000 members of staff, ensuring results of a high international standard. The budgeted turnover for 2013 amounts to DKK 6.3 billion. The university’s strategy and development contract are available at www.au.dk/en.
- The University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of Director for HELSUS October 13, 2021The University of Helsinki is a community founded on research, learning, and courageous thought, where groundbreaking basic research, open-minded curiosity, and cooperation engender opportunities for solving global challenges. Our everyday work and interaction are guided by the University’s strategic plan … Continue reading → The post The University of Helsinki invites applications for the position […]
- New Books Available October 6, 2021Did you know that ISEE has a book resource page? Check it out at http://www.isecoeco.org/books/. Here are two new books to add to your collection. Herman Daly’s Economics for a Full World: His Life and Ideas by Peter A. Victor … Continue reading → The post New Books Available appeared first on The International Society […]
- Workshop on Socio-ecological Transformations September 21, 2021Shiv Nadar University, Delhi-NCR and Heidelberg University, Germany, in collaboration with the Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE) invite you to a joint workshop. Joint Workshop Shiv Nadar University and Heidelberg University in collaboration with the Indian Society for Ecological … Continue reading → The post Workshop on Socio-ecological Transformations appeared first on The International […]
- Job Posting – Denison University – Environmental Studies September 13, 2021Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies The Denison Environmental Studies Program invites applications for a tenure track position at the Assistant Professor level, beginning August 2022. We seek a colleague with a strong interdisciplinary academic background in environmental studies, a capacity … Continue reading → The post Job Posting – Denison University – Environmental Studies appeared […]
- 14th International Conference of the ESEE Call for Papers September 13, 202114th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics CALL FOR PAPERS WILL ACHILLES CATCH UP WITH THE TORTOISE? IT’S HIGH TIME FOR TRANSFORMATIVE ACTION ON SUSTAINABILITY Dipartimento di Economia e Management Università di Pisa, Italy June 14 to … Continue reading → The post 14th International Conference of the ESEE Call for Papers […]
- Deputy MSc Programme Director September 1, 2021SRUC is hiring a new Deputy Programme Director for MSc in Ecological Economics. The deadline is 30 September 2021. The job is listed here: List of vacancies | SRUC That will open a page; scroll down and click on Deputy Programme … Continue reading → The post Deputy MSc Programme Director appeared first on The International […]
- Webinar Series: Grappling with the Question of Sustainable Consumption in the Global South August 30, 2021Three-Part Webinar Series: Grappling with the Question of Sustainable Consumption in the Global South 15, 22, 28 September 2021 1:00PM UTC / 6:30PM India Register via Zoom How to talk about sustainable consumption in the Global South? This question is … Continue reading → The post Webinar Series: Grappling with the Question of Sustainable Consumption […]
- INTECOL Wetlands Conference and Geneva Congress August 18, 2021The INTECOL International Wetlands Conference is the largest, most influential international conference in the field of wetland science and applications. The 11th INTECOL International Wetlands Conference will be held in Christchurch, New Zealand, during 11-15 October 2021. The theme of the … Continue reading → The post INTECOL Wetlands Conference and Geneva Congress appeared first on […]
- Boom or Bust? Economy, Wellbeing and Population August 11, 2021Registration for our 2021 conference on 8 October is open! This year’s theme is Boom or Bust? Economy, Wellbeing and Population. Taking place as a live audience event in London and as a fully participatory livestream, the conference will examine … Continue reading → The post Boom or Bust? Economy, Wellbeing and Population appeared first […]
- Evaluating Policy Packages for Low-Carbon Transitions July 28, 2021EVALUATING POLICY PACKAGES FOR LOW-CARBON TRANSITIONS – PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATIONS Special Issue Ecological Economics Guest editor: Prof dr HRJ Vollebergh (Tilburg University and Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency) Transitions and policy rationales Limiting global warming to no more than 2°C has … Continue reading → The post Evaluating Policy Packages for Low-Carbon Transitions appeared first on […]
- The University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of Director for HELSUS October 13, 2021