The International Society for Ecological Economics
The ISEE is a transdisciplinary partnership of scholars, professionals, and activists from a broad range of backgrounds. Through education, research, policy and social action, we foster transformation towards an equitable and ecologically sustainable society with respect for the rights of people and nature, biological and cultural diversity. At the heart of this, we recognise that our economy is part of a finite biosphere and needs to respect its ecological limits. ISEE is not-for-profit and member-governed.
Ecological economics exists because a hundred years of disciplinary specialization in scientific inquiry has left us unable to understand or to manage the interactions between the human and environmental components of our world. While none would dispute the insights that disciplinary specialization has brought, many now recognize that it has also turned out to be our Achilles heel. In an interconnected evolving world, reductionist science has pushed out the envelope of knowledge in many different directions, but it has left us bereft of ideas as to how to formulate and solve problems that stem from the interactions between humans and the natural world. How is human behavior connected to changes in hydrological, nutrient or carbon cycles? What are the feedbacks between the social and natural systems, and how do these influence the services we get from ecosystems? Ecological economics as a field attempts to answer questions such as these.
You can join/rejoin at any time and your membership (and journal subscription, if you opt for one) will be valid for twelve months from signing on, regardless of date.
Click on “Sign In” above right and follow the prompts.
If you need help please email.
The ISEE Weekly Bulletin
If you are not a member, you can still receive the ISEE Weekly Bulletin. Complete the information below and click “Subscribe”.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software
Due to program limitations, you cannot subscribe to the ISEE Weekly Bulletin with the same email address used for membership. If you are a current member, you should already be receiving the ISEE Weekly Bulletin. If you need help please email.
Building Alternative Livelihoods
in times of ecological and political crisis
July 5-8, 2021
International Online Joint Conference of the international degrowth research networks, the International Society for Ecological Economics, and the European Society for Ecological Economics, hosted by University of Manchester, UK.
Call for future ISEE Conference Organizers
ISEE holds its conference biennially, normally attracting 500-900 social and natural scientists.
For 2022 and 2024 ISEE is seeking individuals/groups interested in organizing a conference – an opportunity to highlight the profile of a research group (or several groups in a country). You are invited to send an Expression of Interest to Secretariat@isecoeco.org.
- Contact information of point person and other already committed members of the local organizing committee.
- Proposed location: A suitable meeting venue able to accommodate: Plenary sessions, about 10 concurrent sessions, poster and exhibition area, information and registration desk, receptions, catering area and other potential functions, such as computer and internet access, student workshops, and other small meeting rooms.
- Accessibility and lodging: Describe transportation and lodging options.
- Finance, potential sponsorships, and in-kind support: The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is responsible for all financial aspects linked with the administration and organization of the conference that should be self-financing. Next to conference registration fees, sponsoring and in-kind support may play an important role. It is advisable that the LOC organizes fund-raising activities: financial, scholarships and in-kind contributions towards the conference are welcome.
- Amenities of the location: including restaurants, arts, recreation, and other attractions.
- Sustainability and environmental advantages: This can refer to offerings by local hotels, food, and waste options, (public) transportation, etc.
- Previous experience in organizing scientific meetings or conferences: Please list events, responsible individuals/groups (who are also members of the ISEE conference LOC) and participant numbers.
A proposer is not expected to have firm answers to all questions at this stage. A decision is usually made two years ahead at the biennial conference.