Since 2003, Global Footprint Network has made great strides in its mission to advance the Ecological Footprint, a science-based measurement tool that tracks both the planet’s ecological resources and human demand on these resources. During this time, the organization has engaged with more than 35 national governments – with eight nations having formally adopted the Ecological Footprint. As a communications tool, the Footprint is now internationally recognized, and is part of the public discourse on the growing pressures on our planet. It is also gaining traction on the policy front.
But because the world is heading into an era of ever more severe resource constraints, Global Footprint Network must continue to increase its impact and help nations rise to today’s challenges. Fortunately, the organization has built a strong foundation upon which it can scale its science and technology to accelerate government action and help the human economy operate within the Earth’s ecological limits.
We are currently seeking to hire a Director to spearhead the development of our core technical programs, manage the scientific development of the Ecological Footprint method, and foster the standardization of its use and application throughout the world. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned manager, skilled at building consensus within diverse scientific communities, and will have a proven track record of leadership during rapid growth.
This position works closely with Global Footprint Network’s President and COO to guide technical programs, is responsible for leading projects with governments, scientific organizations, companies, and consultancies, provides strategic oversight of standards development process and fosters consensus building among staff and partners on methodological and research issues.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leads the annual planning process for our technical programs and ensures the successful accomplishment of program goals
- Supervises the science team in the development and implementation of the National Accounts Improvement Program, and ensures implementation of research agenda
- Provides strategic oversight of our standards development process and fosters consensus building among staff and partners on methodological and research issues
- Develops and supervises research collaborations and other strategic projects with governments, academic institutions and partners
- Ensures the successful delivery of technical projects by supporting project managers in meeting goals, and by engaging directly with partners in high visibility or politically sensitive projects. This includes guiding and overseeing quality assurance
- Works with the VP External Affairs and the project development and fundraising team to secure funding for our technical programs
- Minimum of 7-10 years management experience in consulting, government, business, and/or research
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. or Masters) in related field, such as environmental science, environmental or natural resource management, or ecological economics
- Proven success at leading teams and mentoring and developing staff
- Track record of successfully managing large projects
- Experience working with governments
- Developed interest and expertise in global resource issues
- Interest in teaching and curriculum design
- Experience with Input-Output Analysis, large scale database management, statistics, scenario modeling, and applied policy analysis advantageous
- Fluency in European languages a plus
- Willingness to travel