Reference ID: 11/ID/013A
Thu, 2011-06-02 09:11 – Wed, 2011-06-15 09:11
Description of the Unit/Department
The International Division is based in Maynooth and a number of overseas locations. It is comprised of 5 geographical regions, (Asia/Middle East; Latin America; Central & West Africa; East & Horn Africa; Southern Africa) and Institutional Funding Unit. There are five cross-organisational teams that are inextricably linked to the International Division, following the 5 themes of our strategic plan – governance and human rights, building sustainable livelihoods and demanding environmental justice, preparing for and responding to emergencies, HIV and gender.
Background to the Role
This position is located in the Latin America region. The region is managed from Tegucigalpa, Honduras overseeing the implementation of Trócaire’s strategic plan in seven countries – Bolivia, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Haiti. Trócaire has almost completed its phase out process of Peru and Brazil.
As part of its decentralisation process Trócaire has established a strong field presence in South America. The Regional Programme Manager (RPM) will assume a leading role in overseeing the implementation of quality programmes in the region with a focus on 2 countries of South America (Bolivia and Colombia) plus oversee the closure of a few ongoing projects in Peru and Brazil.
Regional Manager for Latin America
POs in Colombia and Bolivia (4), a sub-regional finance officer plus administrative staff.
Grade and Scale
Regional Programme Manager salary scale
Location of Position
La Paz, Bolivia with frequent travel throughout South American and occasional travel to Central America and or/Head Office
Scope of the Role
With reference to Trócaire’s Strategic Plan 2006-2016 and the Operational Plan 2011-14, the Regional Programme Manager will be responsible for overseeing and co-ordinating all aspects of programme work in the South American countries. This will include implementation of country plans and programmes; it will also include roll out and implementation of Trócaire organisational policies and procedures. The RPM will work closely with the Regional Manager and others to implement plans to maximise income from institutional sources.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- With the Regional Manager, to take the lead in coordinating the design, implementation and maintenance of high quality, coherent programmes in the region. This will include: development of programmes; identification, accompaniment and funding of projects; and advocacy and lobbying on relevant issues.
- Work with Programme Officers to monitor and manage the implementation of programmes through partner organisations. This will include tracking of programme progress and spending and problem solving as needed.
- Ensure that Programme Officers follow Trócaire’s procedures in the approval process of programmes and projects and their implementation which includes complying with the Management Information System’s requirements.
- Together with the Regional Manager ensure that Trócaire partnership and programme approaches and strategies are relevant, effective and reflect best practices
- Ensure that priority cross-cutting issues are integrated across programmes and provide training and support to both staff and partners to enable this integration to take place
- Systematically reflect on country programme experience, research, and overall trends in order to feed back into the regional programme and identify areas for further work
- Ensure that Programme Officers and other staff are aware of developments, changes and updates at an organisational level and respond to these developments at the regional level, in consultation with the Regional Manager.
- Actively contribute to organisational learning through ensuring systematic documentation, evaluation, monitoring and reporting on Trócaire programmes.
- Co-ordinate initiatives to encourage the building of organisational capacity of partners to ensure their development and sustainability.
- Ensure that Programme Officers support partners in producing timely proposals and reports, which comply with Trócaire standards.
- Lead and co-ordinate appropriate training initiatives for local NGO staff in the design and management of high quality programmes.
- Keep abreast of political and economic developments and report on the impact of macro-issues on the regional and country programmes for the use in planning both regionally and internationally and also for use in development education and advocacy in Ireland
- Line management and co-ordination of the work of Programme staff
Human Resource Management
- In collaboration with the Regional Manager implement a supervision and performance appraisal system for staff in the region.
- In collaboration with the Regional Manager, identify the training needs of international and national personnel and arrange for and evaluate training.
- In collaboration with the Regional Manager manage the recruitment and induction process of Programme and Finance Staff when their replacement is needed.
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Assist in the preparation of annual country and regional budgets for both programme and administration costs.
- Support the analysis, monitoring and supervision of Trócaire funds and disbursement to partners.
- Develop relationships and liaise with in-country donors, the Regional Institutional Funding Officer and the Institutional Funding Unit in mobilising institutional funding for Trócaire partners.
- Co-ordinate all advocacy issues in the sub region, internally and externally with relevant agencies.
- Provide regular information on context and situation to staff in Latin American region and in Ireland.
Representation and Networking
- Contribute to the development of Trócaire’s networks and profile in the region.
- Represent Trócaire at events and meetings as required.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements (E)
- A relevant academic qualification at masters level with theoretical knowledge of the principles and practices of development and humanitarian cooperation
- Minimum five years’ development experience, with at least three working in the field in Latin America of which two should be in a management capacity.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of the international development sector, with particular reference to the specific role of international NGOs.
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically and to oversee the implementation of a regional programme.
- Knowledge of the Latin American region and an understanding of the principle causes of poverty and inequality.
- Knowledge of both development and emergency programming
- A thorough understanding of partnership and rights based approaches
- A specific knowledge of Programme Cycle Management issues, including development of proposals and reports, monitoring, evaluation and impact measurement systems.
- A demonstrated ability to manage personnel and human resource systems
- A demonstrated ability to manage budgets and financial systems
- Fluent written and spoken Spanish and English
- Excellent IT & communication skills
- A strong commitment to the work of justice and an empathy with the ethos and work of Trócaire
- Team player
- Ability and willingness to travel within and outside the region on a regular basis.
Person Specification – Desirable Requirements (D)
- Specific experience of working in a NGO environment and some years of experience in a management capacity
- Human Resource and Financial Management
- Analytical, report writing and presentation skills
To apply for this position please fill out the attached application form  and return to Jason Rice, HR Officer, Trocaire, Maynooth, Co.Kildare or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 15th June 2011.