Cefas Payband 7 or 8 £40,831- £61,066 depending on experience
The purpose of this post is to coordinate and lead the provision of advice and science related to the economics of the marine environment. The post-holder will draw on the existing activities in Cefas which make use of the results of economic analysis and valuation of economic services, and will lead the integration of socio-economic considerations into the advisory process to support our government customers. This is of strategic importance to Cefas and the post holder will have a unique opportunity to shape our future direction in this field.
To support sustainable development it is no longer sufficient to understand just the environmental impacts of human activities; it is now expected that social and economic considerations will also be addressed and integrated into policy assessment. The use of economics in the provision of marine data and evidence is already undertaken throughout Cefas, particularly in our Environment and Ecosystems, and Fisheries Divisions, but there is a need to better coordinate our existing activities and to grow this work area. As an experienced environmental economist you will be responsible for leading this topic, working across disciplines to ensure that Cefas advice takes account of the economics of ecosystem goods and services, human activities and management scenarios. As an expert with recent leadership experience you:
- Will be expected to seek new business opportunities that make best use of existing skills, and to advise the Management Team on future directions and strategic opportunities.
- Will be expected to enhance existing relationships with external science providers and to develop links with research institutes and consultancies to support these new opportunities.
- Will develop and deliver research and consultancy work with government departments (Defra) or within EU, UK or the private sector
- Lead and manage research and consultancy projects and support other projects by providing expert input
- Will represent Cefas at national and international conferences and build the profile and reputation of the function
- Provide clear and focused intellectual and policy inputs to the development of project proposals and project reports including the co-ordination of inputs and principal authorship of outputs in respect of economic appraisal, evaluation and impact techniques and processes
For more information and to apply for this post go to www.cefas.jobsopenings
Closing date for applications is 28/02/12
Interview date for applications is 27/03/12