Now Seeking Environmental Writing for $5,000 Zencey Prize
Submit books and long-form journalism for the Eric Zencey Prize in Ecological Economics by Jan. 31
The Gund Institute for Environment at the University of Vermont and the U.S. Society of Ecological Economics invite submissions for the Eric Zencey Prize in Ecological Economics, which celebrates outstanding writing on the environmental limits of our finite planet.
The winning author will receive $5,000 USD, plus financial support for a trip to the University of Vermont for a public campus event in Burlington, Vt.
Named after pioneering scholar Eric Zencey (1954-2019), the prize recognizes the best book or long-form journalism that advances public understanding of real-world environmental challenges using the principles of ecological economics, a field that explores the relationships between economics and Earth’s limited natural resources.
Zencey Prize Criteria:
- Book or long-form journalism
- Written for a general audience
- Published in 2022 or 2023
- Addresses real-world environmental challenges
- Uses principles of ecological economics
- English language
- Submitted by the author or publisher
- Academic journal articles will not be considered
- University of Vermont employees are not eligible for the prize
The term “ecological economics” need not appear in submitted works, but the field’s underlying goals – understanding links among ecological, economic and social systems and advancing sustainability, equity, and human well-being – must be evident.
The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2024. The Prize will be announced by October 2024, followed by an event with the winner.
“I hope this prize will inspire future generations of environmental writers and ecological economists to communicate real-world solutions beyond ‘the Ivory Tower,’” said Eric Zencey, who worked to understand and address environmental challenges.
Support the Eric Zencey Prize, which was created by friends and family to support future generations of writers and scholars: https://go.uvm.edu/yvpxw
Links and Multimedia:
- About Eric Zencey and the Prize: https://go.uvm.edu/zenceyprize
- Submission portal and guidelines: https://go.uvm.edu/r0dev
- About inaugural winner Bathsheba Demuth and the first shortlist: https://go.uvm.edu/dm317
- Watch the inaugural award ceremony with Bathsheba Demuth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdt9JWdzqc
- Watch the 2022 award ceremony with Tim Jackson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKoeouffGq0
- Join the Zencey Prize mailing list: https://go.uvm.edu/zenceylist
- Read/share this press release: https://go.uvm.edu/dlzvu