12th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics ISEE 2012: ECOLOGICAL ECONOMICS AND RIO +20 CONTRIBUTIONS AND CHALLENGES FOR A GREEN ECONOMY
16-19 June, 2012 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS
UPDATE: The deadline for submission of abstracts for ISEE2012 has been extended to November 22, 2011. Results will be announced by December 15, 2011.
To download the flyer click here.
ISEE is a nonprofit, member-governed organization dedicated to advancing understanding of the relationships among ecological, social, and economic systems for the mutual well-being of nature and people. ISEE conferences are transdisciplinary and have been held biennially since 1990. ISEE2012 has been conceived to dovetail with the Rio+20 UNCSD Earth Summit. The Earth Summit has been charged with developing a road map for international cooperation toward a “Green Economy” and for promoting institutions necessary for sustainable development. ISEE2012 will address UNCSD themes as well as other key debates within ecological economics and environmental policy. It will promote dialogue with the Summit through a final ministerial panel and the participation of policy makers. The challenge for Ecological Economics at this Summit is to contribute to designing innovative alternatives, to address market and institutional failures, as well as to understand the working of ecological and economic systems.
Greening the Economy
- Measuring green growth
- The energy question
- Sustainable consumption
- (Un)sustainable cities?
The Political Economy of Green Development
- Food security: who sows? who reaps?
- The economics and politics of climate change
- Pollution and politics
- Challenges of community resource governance
Environmental Justice, Ethics and Values
- Global agreements: is convergence possible?
- Balancing nature: people, biodiversity and resilience
- Governing environmental behaviour
- Mores and morals: toward an environmental ethic
- Political ecology and ecological conflicts
- Feminist economics and ecological economics: can the twain meet?
- Behavioural economics and economic behaviour: beyond homo economicus?
- Economics and Ecology: transdisciplinary conversations
There will be three tracks for abstract submissions: Panels (for long presentations), Roundtables (for short interventions) and Posters. Submissions can be in the form of individual abstracts or as full Panels and Roundtables. Full Panels/Roundtables require a cogent theme, a brief introduction giving the rationale, names of session chair(s), and abstracts/papers of all contributors. Alternative innovative formats, including performances, films and installations, would also be welcome for consideration.
Abstracts should be a maximum of 700 words and must be submitted online via the conference website: www.isee2012.org. All abstracts for Panels and Roundtables will be reviewed by an international review panel (see schedule below). Abstracts for poster presentations will be evaluated by the ISEE Local Organizing Committee.Acceptance of all abstracts will be based on relevance for ecological economics and the conference theme, originality, and overall quality. Official notification of abstract acceptance or rejection, or optional poster presentation will be emailed to the corresponding author on 15 December 2011. Full papers may be submitted on acceptance for presentation through April 15, 2012.
Conference organisers will make every effort to seek funding to reimburse travel costs and participation fees of those from non-OECD countries and for student researchers (with proof of university attendance). Those needing funding must submit a full paper by November 15. Travel support is contingent on availability of funding and acceptance of full papers subject to a separate review process.
A limited number of panels or roundtables may be conducted in Portuguese or Spanish and organizers should indicate this preference in advance in the abstract submission. Abstracts should be submitted in English.
15 November 2011 – Session, paper, poster abstract submissions
15 December 2011 – Author notification
2 March 2012 – Pay registration fee online to ensure inclusion of abstract in conference brochure
15 April 2012 – Deadline for upload of full papers to conference website
16 June 2012 – Conference begins
International Program and Scientific Committee
- Bina Agarwal, President ISEE (2012-2013) and President of ISEE2012
- John Gowdy, President ISEE, 2010-2011
- Peter May, President ISEE, 2009-2010
- Maria Amélia Enriquez, President ECOECO
- Paulo Mibielli, Vice President ECOECO
- José Eli da Veiga, University of São Paulo
- José Feres, Vice-President ALEAR
- Joshua Farley, University of Vermont, USA
- Pushpam Kumar, UNEP, Kenya
- Bernardo Aguilar, President SMEE, Costa Rica
- Roldan Muradian, REDIBEC
- Sigrid Stagl, President, ESEE
- Begum Ozkaynak, Bogazici University, Turkey
- Kevin Urama, President, ASEE, Kenya
- Walter Pengue, President, AUSEE, Argentina
- Wendy Proctor, President, ANZEE
Local Organizing Committee
- Peter May, President, ISEE (2008-2009), Chairman
- Frederico Cavadas, Board member, ECOECO
- José Feres, Vice-President, ALEAR
- Liandra Caldasso, National Institute for Science and Technology, UFRJ
- Paulo Mibielli, Vice President, ECOECO
- Valeria Vinha, Institute of Economics-UFRJ
Partners and Institutional Support
- Brazilian Society for Ecological Economics (ECOECO)
- City Government of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- International Society of Human Ecology – SHE
- Institute for Economic Growth – IEG, Delhi, India
- Latin American Association for Environmental Economics and Natural Resources – ALEAR
- National Institute for Science and Technology in Public Policy, Strategy and Development (INCT / PPED)
- United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP)
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA)
- Elsevier Press
At the instigation of UN-DESA Sustainable Development Division, ISEE2012 will offer a series of short courses or Learning Centres to be certified jointly. Those interested in offering one-day workshops on specific themes germane to UNCSD should contact the conference secretariat at the e-mail below.
See you in Rio de Janeiro!